Chapter 16

A few days had passed since the capture of the FoxClan cats, and so far, they had all been cooperating well. Most had learned how to behave, though some had injuries to prove their disobedience. No cat had died though, and they would be fighting in the battle, no exceptions.

Hazelstar opened her eyes, a nervous feeling in her stomach. The capture had gone successful but there were two cats that had not yet returned. Tigerstripe, her brother, and that other she-cat, Jetfur.

She had hoped they would show up on their own, but it had been moons, and leaf-fall was fast approaching. They had to be ready by then, no exceptions.

She rose to her feet then padded out of the den, already seeing cats being trained. Some of the MoonClan members snapped at the former FoxClan cats while others received a claw mark down their face.

Hazelstar looked down as she went past the kits. It was wrong, so wrong, but she belonged solely to the Dark Forest now, and mercy did not apply to their rules.

"Fire!" she snapped.

The ginger tom quickly padded forward, his emerald eyes gazing into Hazelstar's.

"Is there something I can assist you with?"

"No, but there's a matter we need to discuss," Hazelstar growled. "Follow me to my den."

Fire nodded as they went off. Hazelstar padded into her dark den, sitting down on her soft nest.

"Well, get comfortable!" Hazelstar snapped at Fire who stood awkwardly by the entrance. He sat facing her, looking around.

"Fire, there are two members who have not yet arrived. Can you guess who they are?"

Fire pondered for a moment. "Your brother, Tigerstripe, and that black she-cat."

"Jetfur, that's right. My mother told me they would not come, and they haven't. So I need your help."

"What could I do?"

"I need you to organize a secret group of cats to find my brother and his friend. I don't want any other cat knowing about this, all right? Does Crystal have rogues to offer?"

"Yes, like always," Fire explained. "Come on, I'll take you to her."

Hazelstar padded out of the camp with her deputy to the familiar clearing where the rogues gathered. They were busy training, some eating, others resting. No more executions had to be made, though a few had died already. They had been buried in a large hole the others had dug, and that was where the dead rogues were stored.

Crystal stood on the familiar dead branch, her white pelt gleaming in the sunlight. At the sight of Fire, her eyes lit up, though they quickly dimmed as she noticed Hazelstar standing behind him.

Hazelstar didn't like the she-cat one bit, but she could be trusted to do her job, and she did it well. That was what mattered.

Crystal slowly leapt down from the tree log, walking forward to greet the two.

"Hazelstar, I had not expected you," Crystal admitted. "We're there more executions scheduled?"

"I don't believe there will be anymore," Hazelstar explained. "I'm here for another matter. I need a patrol of rogues, those that are strong and can be trusted."