Chapter 4

Hazelnose crept into the abandoned camp, making sure no cat was living in there. Most of the dens were collapsed, some bones lay around camp. She shuddered at the dried patches of blood spread throughout the camp. It was as if all her memories flashed back to her.

            "Is the coast clear?" Ice asked.

            Hazelnose nodded, not sniffing any cat. "No cat has been here in moons," she told her. "We've got to get started right away on rebuilding."

            "No kidding," Fire said, looking at the old dens. "What if we got some rogues to help?"

            "Good idea, Fire," Hazelnose told him, glad the tom was finally cooperating. "We do need more members- rogues especially. But first, I must receive my lives."

            "Don't be silly, Hazelnose," Ice told her. "Moonstar never received any lives. What makes you think you will?"

            "Trust me on this! Moonstar said I would," Hazelnose growled. "I'll be on my way to Moonstone. You two look for some rogues and help clean up. Move the bones away, fix up the dens."

            "All right," Ice said. "As you wish, Hazelstar."

            "Good," Hazelnose said. "If you aren't here when I return, I assume you're out looking for members. If you dare think you can leave, the powers of the Dark Forest will be on your tail, so I suggest you stay," she spat.

            "Message understood," Fire said.

            Hazelnose looked back at the mother and son one last time, then disappeared into the woods. She remembered everything so clearly-the trees, the smells, the sights. It was as if she had never left.

            She burst through the woods, knowing Moonstone wasn't too far away. She had heard FoxClan cats speak of it. It was up in the foothills, near the MoonClan camp. It wouldn't be too far of a walk!

            The sun had disappeared now, and the stars had begun to shine. The darkness would allow her to blend in better, and she thanked her father for her darkened pelt.

            As she continued, she stopped, smelling the scents of other cats. That was odd. She swore there were no other clans around here. In fact, the only clans in the forest had been FoxClan and MoonClan at the time of the battle.

            She continued slowly through the woods, still smelling the cats. There were very few of them, and it definitely did not smell like a clan of any sort. She tried to ignore the scents, continuing on her way.

            She suddenly spotted a pair of ears above the bushes. She looked quickly, seeing them gone. Who was out in these woods?

            "Who's there?" she asked quietly.

            When no response came, she continued. If any cat came out, she'd kill it right there and then. That's what she would do...That's what Moonstar would do, right?

            Suddenly, she felt paws kick her into a bush, and she yowled as a large tom landed on her. In the darkness, she could spot his dark stripes, and his green eyes stared deeply into hers.

            "Who are you?! What are you doing on BirdClan territory?!" he spat.

            "BirdClan territory? What are you talking about?" she asked, pushing the tom off.

            "This is BirdClan territory," he spat. "Who are you?"

            "My identity is of no importance to you. Who are you?" she asked.