Chapter 27

Hazelstar awoke with ambition, ready to bring down the clans. Before the light had even touched the sky, Fire had woken her, telling her the sun would be up soon. Hazelstar nodded and padded out from her den, the rest of the clan sleeping in silence. She had sent messengers the night before to the other clans, warning of them of their destruction that would take place the next morning.

            Now Hazelstar stood, a rabbit in her paws. She glanced down at it, but she could not eat it. She knew she shouldn't be nervous, but her nerves clenched her. What if they truly couldn't beat the clans?

            Mouse-dung, she told herself. You've outnumbered them.

            Hazelstar repeated this over and over, knowing they had more members, knowing that only a miracle could save them. In a few hours, the forest would be theirs and Moonstar's mission would be completed. Hazelstar would please her mother.

            "Eat, Hazelstar. It'll be good for you," Fire urged.

            Little does he know I'm kicking him out of the deputy spot, she smirked.

            Hazelstar obeyed him though, taking small bites of her rabbit. When she ate all that she felt she could, she stood up, watching as the sky turned from indigo to a lighter blue. The sun had begun to rose.

            "EVERY CAT UP!" she shouted, parading around the camp. Cats began to rise, though she continued to shout, padding through the forest so that the rogues could hear her.

            "EVERY CAT UP!" she shouted again. "ROGUES! MEET IN THE CAMP!"

            Cats began to gather in camp, their numbers swarming. She padded up her rock, Fire padding up beside her. She stood, smiling down at the cats. Guards brought the captives forward, and Hazelstar smiled at their tired and exhausted eyes. They'd die in battle most likely. Still, she had to hope a few would survive. Moonstar's offspring had to continue.

            "Is every cat ready and awake?!" she yowled. Yowls of agreement sounded below, some snorts of disgust coming from the captives. She could've killed them off right then, but it didn't matter. She'd already spoken to the rogues about killing them off if they misbehaved.

            "TODAY, WE FIGHT FOR MOONCLAN, THE DARK FOREST!" she shouted. The cheer of cats rang in triumph and Hazelstar smiled. Still, her heart beat rapidly, scared Moonstar would appear out of thin air again.

            "Now," Hazelstar began. "Today, we are going down to the meadow on SnowClan's border. We'll most likely be the first ones there, but it's been said that the first to arrive to battle are the winners. Some rogues, I've spoken to you already, will be guarding our territory and the camp in case some cats want to plan a raid. They won't come back alive. All the rest of us will be out there fighting for our clan. We surely will win, I can tell you that.

            "Now, Crystal, however," Hazelstar began, glancing at the nursery. Cats turned, confused. "She won't be joining us."

            Yowls of arguments came from this.

            "Now shush, shush. She decided to have kits at this time. There's something in store for her later. Still, I don't expect you to praise her later during the celebration after she did not fight. But let's ignore this for now, and focus on the battle. There will be no mercy. Kill any cat in your way. Even if every cat is not killed, we will make slaves out of the live ones. Now, are you ready?!"