Chapter 23

"You stupid she-cat!" Hazelstar spat, knocking Crystal over onto the floor of her den.

            "What?! What's wrong?!" Crystal cried out.

            "We're getting closer to the battle, and I need every single one of my warriors. It's not your job to mess with my plans and get pregnant along the way!" Hazelstar hissed, unsheathing her claws.

            "I can still handle the rogues!" Crystal hissed.

            "Yes, but when will your kits be due? Right at the battle, I presume. You've got guts, going against me, strategically avoiding battle to save your own skin," Hazelstar hissed.

            "Fine! I can just leave if you want me too!" Crystal hissed back. "Then who will run the rogues?"

            "RUN THE ROGUES! KEEP THEM IN LINE!" Hazelstar hissed back. "But...this isn't the end of this, Crystal. I would kill you now, but who else will get the rogues to cooperate. We'll talk after the battle."

            Crystal nodded slowly, her eyes clouded with fear.

            "What's going on?!" came Fire's growl as he raced into the den.

            "FIRE, LEAVE!" Hazelstar hissed.

            "What are you doing to her?!" Fire gasped.

            "FIRE, LEAVE!" Hazelstar repeated.

            Fire did not move.

            "Walk out of this den now or she dies!" Hazelstar hissed.

            Fire obeyed her.

            Hazelstar slowly let Crystal up, pushing her out of the den.

            "You better work hard!" she spat as Crystal ran off.

            "Stupid she-cat," Hazelstar muttered to herself, leaning against the wall of her den. How dare her warriors think they can go against her?

            I bet Crystal would've never said those things to Moonstar, Hazelstar thought. Her cursed mother, a real leader. How could she ever learn from her malicious mother?

            Flashbacks crossed Hazelstar's mind as she remembered her mother's claws coming down on her, the scratches that burned across her pelt. They were faint memories, ones from when she was just a little kit. Maybe they weren't even real.

            But of course they were. Hazelstar knew they were. Her mother had been abusive, cruel. That's why she and Chesnuttail had left in the first place.

            But why had she returned? Some days, Hazelstar wasn't sure. Other days, she knew this was her path. Her mother had guided her down this path to lead MoonClan to victory. But what was in it for her? Sure, she got the entire forest, but that was it. There was nothing else that really excited her.

            "My warriors will fear me!" she declared, stomping around her den. Wasn't fear the greatest reward of all? To be feared meant Hazelstar was powerful, just like her mother.

            "Hazelstar?" called Fire.

            "What?!" she snapped, her eyes wide. She was tired and sleep-deprived from nights where she tossed and turned. Some days, she thought she was losing it altogether.