Chapter 11

As the sun rose above the horizon, it marked the seventh day since Hazelstar had sent all the cats out. The black tom had returned with seventeen rogues, Sharp had returned with fifty, and now, Hazelstar was waiting for the she-cat to return with one hundred rogues.

            Hazelstar's body ached as she woke up. She had been teaching cats some battle training the other day, and she had pulled a few muscles in the process. She wasn't the slim she-cat her mother was.

            "Hazelstar! Hazelstar!" Fire's frantic voice made her jump.

            She quickly padded out of the den, facing her deputy.

            "What is it?!" she spat.

            "That she-cat you sent is returning with over a hundred rogues!"

            "Over a hundred?!" Hazelstar exclaimed. "Marvelous! Lead them to the clearing!"

            "Hazelstar, there might not be enough room in the clearing," Fire explained.

            "There will be!" she yowled. "Go direct them! All of our rogues have arrived! I'll be there shortly."

            Fire nodded, running off to greet the rogues. He left Hazelstar alone in the camp for a few moments to eat. She grabbed a fresh robin and bit into it, the warm taste filling her mouth. She quickly gobbled the rest up, her stomach now filled.

            She marched over to the clearing, watching rogues mix in with the others. Fire was right. The clearing was a bit too small for all the rogues. The battle would be in a few more moons though. They wouldn't have to wait too long.

            "Hazelstar, I brought them over like you instructed," Fire said, facing his leader.

            "Good, good," Hazelstar told Fire. She looked into his green eyes, then nodded. "You can go now, Fire. I'll take it from here."

            "If you wish," Fire said, leaving the clearing.

            The sound of chatter filled the clearing, and even as Hazelstar leapt onto the fallen tree, the cats continued to speak.

            "ROGUES, LISTEN HERE!" she shouted.

            All the cats fell silent, turning their attention to Hazelstar.

            "Good," Hazelstar purred. "My name is Hazelstar, your new leader."

            "But we are not clan cats!"  a cat shouted.

            "You must be new," Hazelstar laughed. "I do not know which cat said that, but I will tell you that if you speak over me again, it will be the last time you speak. Got it?"

            Cats nodded slowly.

            "A cat says I am not leader. You're right. I'm not. The Dark Forest is your leader, Moonstar is your leader! I am only here to guide the clan in an independent way. Still, you will treat me and all other MoonClan cats with respect!" she hissed.

            "It has come to my attention that there are many in this clearing. MoonClan is a large camp, one that can hold many cats. However, none of you are MoonClan cats. You may be rogues fighting for us, but you are not as honorable as the others. I understand this clearing may be crowded, but it is the only thing you have.

            "Some rules for all of you. Do not step into the MoonClan camp unless instructed, do not leave this clearing unless instructed, do not steal any food or water from my MoonClan warriors, do not fight any MoonClan warriors, and do not try to escape. Breaking any of these rules will result in an easy death. Don't think you can beat me. You may be the toughest cat in the forest, but with the Dark Forest on my side, I can stop your heart in a pawstep. Got it?"