Chapter 5

Alec walked out of the room after he told Magnus that he couldn't forgive him. But he wanted to forgive him. I mean, of course he didn't. But he did! Alec groaned inwardly, walking out of the Institute.

"I hate feelings." he grumbled, swinging his back over his shoulder. Alec didn't want to be at the Instutute; but where shoudler he go?

As pathetic as he felt doing it, Alec went to the only place he could think of, of course, other than Magnus' house.

                         ☆☆☆

Magnus stared at the picture on Alec's bedside table. It was of the two of them in Rome; Magnus took Alec there for their six-month anniversary. Alec had insisted on staying home, but, Magnus being Magnus had insisted going somewhere.

"Most couples would have gone to dinner for a half year of dating." Alec had said. "But we go to Rome."
Magnus had laughed, Alec too.

   "I need you." Magnus traced his thumb over Alec's face. Those blue eyes looked so happy; the last time Magnus saw them they looked angry and betrayed.

Sadness creeped up on Magnus like a robber. He snapped his fingers, and ended up back in his loft. Chairman Meow pureed as he came in. Magnus ignored him and went to bed, still wearing his day clothes.

After about an hour of day dreaming and replaying Alec in his head, Magnus slowly drifted off into a light and dreamless sleep.

                          ☆☆☆

Alec knocked on the door. Jocelyn opened it, her fiery red hair up in a messy bun. A paint brush dangled from her hand; her overalls were stained with color, pencils and brushes protruded from thr pockets.

Her hands were also stained with shiny blots of color; probably acrylic paints.

"Hello, Alec." she greated.
"Can I stay here tonight?" he blurted without thinking.

Jocelyn looked taken aback by the sudden  request for a moment. "Is everything alright at the Instutute?"

   "Yes, everything is fine, I just can't stay there tonight. I need to get out."

Jocelyn looked thoughtful and confused for a moment. She stepped back, inviting him in. Alec breathed in the smell of old books. He had always secretly liked the bookstore; although he would never tell anyone. 

He already knew the way to Clary's room, so he walked down the hall. Knocking tentatively, the door swung open after a moment. Clary, a good half foot shorter tha him, looked up at Alec. Her sketch pad in one hand, her stele in the other, Alec immediately felt like he was intruding.

"Alec?" she sounded surprised. "What are you doing here? Is everything okay?"

  "I-I should go." he turned to walk back down the hall, but she grabbed his arm and spun him around.

  She stepped aside, and Alec walked into her room.

   "Why are you here?" she asked.

"Why can't I just come here? Maybe I wanted to see you." Alec knew he was being overly defensive, but he couldn't help it.

  Clary's raised her eyebrows as if to say, Really? He breathed out slowly. She walked past him and sat on her bed, patting the spot next to her. He sat down, and immediately felt the urge to cry.
"It's Magnus, isn't it?" she cocked her head to the side a little. Alec slowly nodded, his eyes burning with tears threatening to spill.

"Oh, Alec." she put a hand on his shoulder.

"Why would be do this?" he asked, looking at her with pleading eyes.

"He said it was a mistake." Clary's murmered.

"You talked to him?" Alec looked at her incrediously.

"Of course I did. I saw what he did to you. I could see it. In your eyes, in your walk, everything."

Alec lost it. He leaned into Clary, her fiery hair tickling his cheeks. Tears spilled down his cheeks, and she wiped them away with the sleeve of her green sweater, which brought out her eyes and made her hair look especially fiery; like flames.

"Shh. Shh." she whispered, rubbing the small of his back in small circles.
"It'll be okay." This made Alec sob even harder, and she cringed. Nice job, Clary. She thought.

After a few minutes, the tears subsided, and Alec quit shaking. He leaned away from Clary, and looked at her with puffy eyes. The look was a nonverbal Thank you she knew.

Alec stood up and rubbed his eyes a little, taking deep breaths. He opened the door, and with one last thankful look at Clary, stepped out of the room, and finally out of the bookstore altogether.