Chapter 22

Alec was falling. The wind blew his hair back, and it felt good on his skin. The black water got closer, and closer.

But he stopped. The falling stopped. He was surrounded by a ball of sizzling blue. It was carrying him up, away from the water.

"Magnus!" Alec yelled, slamming on the wall of the ball.

"Let me go! Let me fall!" Alec collapsed into tears, falling against the floor.

The ball reached ground level, far below the top of the bridge, and the bubble that was carrying Alec burst.

He fell to the ground, and Magnus pulled Alec into him.

They sat their, on the sidewalk, Alec sobbing.

"Alec." Magnus whispered.

"Oh, Alec." He rocked him back and forth in his arms.

☆ ☆ ☆

Magnus had brought Alec back to the loft, and they layed on the couch together. Alec hadn't said a word. As much as Magnus had asked him to talk, Alec just sobbed and sobbed more than he ever had before.

Alec was done crying. He scooted away from Magnus.

"Alec?" Magnus said quietly.

"Why didn't you let me fall?" Alec screamed suddenly, startling Magnus.

"You know why. I can't loose you, Alec. Not again."

Alec shook his head. "Yes you could've! You're gonna loose me, one day Magnus! And then you're gonna find someone to replace me!"

Magnus stared at Alec incrediously.

"No, Alec, no. I will admit, I've been with a lot of people. But you aren't like anyone else I've been with.

"Because I'm a Shadowhunter?"

"No. I can't explain why. But you, Alexander, are the only one for me. Only. I can't imagine being with anyone else - ever. I couldn't let you fall. Yes - one day I will loose you. And I dread that day more than anything. But it couldn't be today.
"I couldn't let you go. I will fight with everything I have to keep you here with me as long as I possibly can.
"And when you leave me, I can't even begin to think what I'm gonna do without you. Please, Alec. Please, stay with me." Alec looked away. Magnus grabbed his chin and turned his head toward him.

"Alec." he whispered, pleading. "Please."

"No! I can't do it. I can't! With Jace and my dad and everything - I can't. It's too hard. I can't." Tears threatened to spill from his eyes yet again.

"I'll help you. We'll get through it. Together. I will be by your side through everything." Alec looked at him, his bottom lip wobbled a little.

"Alexander Gideon Lightwood. Please." Magnus begged. Alec simply nodded. Magnus sighed with relief. He dragged Alec closer to him.

His muscles relaxed with Alec next to him. He clutched Alec tightly. Alec fell asleep like that. Tears streamed silently down Magnus' face. When he saw Alec fall, he thought he was too late. Magnus thought that he hadn't been able to save him.

The thought of life without Alec haunted Magnus. He constantly pushed the thought away; he couldn't bare it.

Alec was his everything. His whole world. The moon and the stars and everything in between. According to Magnus, the world revolved around Alec.