Chapter 13

Magnus was left alone in the bathroom of Java Jones, standing in front of the sink.
   The kiss still lingered on his lips. He felt the need to go after Alec, but knew it would do no good. If anything it would make it worse.

   He walked home in a daze. When he got in, Catarina stood in the kitchen with her arms crossed.

   Shit. Magnus thought. He was supposed to have met Catarina at the mall down the street from Java Jones.

   "Cat, I'm sorry." He tried. She raised her eyebrows, expecting him to explain.

   "I was picking us up coffee at Java Jones and Alec was there..." he trailed off.

   "Oh god. Oh god Magnus. What, what did you do?"

   "Nothing, nothing. Well. Mostly nothing. It, well,-"

   "Magnus. Breath. Tell me what happened." Catarina instructed.

   "I walked in and I wasn't gonna talk to him but he was all bloody, I had to ask if he was alright. I needed to know that he was okay."

   "And..." she prompted him.

   "He told me he got in a fight with Jace, I helped him get the blood off and then..." Magnus trailed off.

   "Okay, first of all, you went too far helping him. I know you were trying to help, but it's only gonna hurt you more. Second of all, what happened next?"

   Magnus took a breath. "We kissed."
As soon as the words came out of his mouth Catarina put her head in her hands.

   "Magnus!" she scolded him.

   "He kissed me!" He put his hands up.

   She nodded. "Okay."
Magnus didn't feel any better though.

   "What am I going to do?" he begged her. She gave a symathetic look and a small shrug.

   "I don't know, Mags, I-"

   "Don't call me that." his voice came out colder than he had meant it to.

   "I'm sorry... that's what Alec used to call me..." Magnus apologized. She nodded, understanding in her gaze.

   Seated on the couch, Catarina made two mugs of green tea appear.

   "I don't know what to do." Magnus begged.

   Catarina took a sip of tea. "I thought you didn't want him back."

   Magnus breathed out once. Twice.

"I didn't- I thought I didn't. But I was wrong. So wrong. I don't want Alexander." Catarina looked at him quizically until he explained.

   "I need him."

                          ☆  ☆  ☆

   Alec hurried out of Java Jones,  tears in his eyes. I'm so stupid! He thought. I'm an idiot. I knew that I shouldn't have kissed him! But Alec knew that in the back of his mind he didn't regret it.

  The kiss was electric, and it took everything Alec had to break away.

  He started to walk back to the Institute but he remembered. Remembered that he said he couldn't stay there. And remembered that he couldn't face Jace.

   Walking numbly down the streets, Alec stumbled along. He didn't feel right. Not himself. There was a piece of him missing, and he knew exactly what piece that was.

Magnus.

He ended up on a bridge with cars speeding through it. Drawing a glamour rune on himself quickly, Alec started climbing. He made his way to the top, which was higher than he had anticipated. The steel thaf he sat on was wide, so it supported Alec easily.

   His legs swinging over the edge, Alec gazed over the New York skyline. He could see everything.
   You couldn't hear the cars up here, and it was peaceful. Alec almost forgot about Magnus. Almost.

   But the thought of Magnus was always with him, whether he knew it or not.

   The simplest things reminded him of the warlock. Pumpkin Spice Lattes. The sparks from a fire.

   A tear rolled down his cheek soundlessly.

   "Oh, don't cry, big brother."

Alec nearly fell of the bridge.

   "What the hell are you doing here Jace?" Alec yelled.

   Jace shrugged. "I followed you."

   "You are going to get pushed off this bridge." Alec grumbled.

   "Oh really?" Jace asked. He was still bloody.

   Following Alec's gaze, Jace said, "Sorry I haven't gotten cleaned up. I didn't have a warlock to help me."

   Alec's eyes grew big.

   "You - you saw that?" He stuttered.

Jace chuckled that stupid arrogant chuckle of his.

   "Yeah. And that kiss was just so sweet. So endearing." Jace pretended to wipe a tear.

   Alec didn't answer, but instead pulled out his phone.

   "Who are you talking to?" Jace got nosy, but Alec leaned away from him as he sent the text to Clary that read:

    Clary, come get your jerk. On top of the bridge. Hurry or he will be pushed.
                         Alec

   "If your talking to Magnus, I will break your phone." Jace said.

   "I'm not."

   "Good." They sat in silence for a long while.

   "Jace." Clary loomed over them fully-dresses in Shadowhunter gear.

   "You called my girlfriend?" Jace looked at Alec.

   "We're leaving, Jace." she reached out a hand to pull him up.

   "Bye big brother. You can invite Magnus here now. You know, so you can finish that makeout session from earlier." Jace dropped down, level by level, until Alec couldn't see him anymore.