Chapter 7

***This chapter is set when Simon is still a daylighter; it was so much happier, yes?****

Alec slammed the door of the loft, hard. He thought he heard the wood splinter. But who cares? He thought angrily.
His mind raced. He couldn't seem to focus on any thought that ran through his head.
Walking down the streets of Brooklyn, Alec stopped for coffee.

The barista was terribly slow; and it didn't help that Alec was fuming.

He may have spat a few hateful words not quite under his breath to her. Maybe.

After getting coffee, Alec went back to the Institute. Jace had set up punching bags in the training room when he was training Clary, so Alec put them to good use.

His fists fired rapidly. He pounded on the bag until his knuckles were bleeding. But he didn't stop. Alec kept punching the bag. It was tore open in a few spots, but Alec didn't care. Its not like anyone used these anymore.

"Alec?" a small figure appeared at the doorway. He grunted a hello, while still beating the punching bag.

Isabelle stepped closer, and taking one look at her brother's bloody fists, she pulled him away from the bag.

"Izzy-" he tried to pull away.
"No. You're bleeding; I'm getting my stele."

After drawing an iratze on Alec and banging his hands, she pulled him into the elevator, the rusty metal rattling as it descended.

"Where are we going?" Alec demanded.

"To eat." Isabelle said, rather simply.

"But I'm not hungry." Alec argued. He didn't want to eat.

"I don't care." Realizing it was no user, Alec didn't argue.

The walk to Taki's was short. Already in the booth was Jace and Clary, fawning over eachother, as always.
Simon was also there, sipping on something red and thick.

Isabelle slid into the corner booth next to Simon, and Alec reluctantly sat next to her.

"Hey, Alec." It was Clary, who shot him a discreet knowing, sympathetic look.

A faerie sauntered over, dressed in red apron and a notepad.
"What'll it be today?"

Everyone ordered, except Simon, who just asked for a refill on his Bloody Mary (literally).

"And for you?" The waitress turned to Alec.

"I'm fine tha-" he tried to say, but Isabelle interrupted him, rather arubtly.

"He'll take a cheeseburger, no tomato. With fries."

After the waitress left, Alec turned to Isabelle.

"I said I wasn't hungry Izzy!" he almost shouted.

"Look, Alec, you haven't eaten in nearly two days." she turned
away, the conversation apparently over.

The waitress came back a while later with everyone's food. (And Simon's drink).

Everyone dug in.

Accept Alec.

He nibbled at a few fries, dropping them multiple times, the bandages uncomfortable and getting in the way.

The chatter dronned on around him, but he didn't seem to notice. Getting up suddenly, Alec ran out of Taki's leaving the rest of his group staring after him.

He ran out into the bitter early winter air.
Evening was falling quick on the streets of New York, business men and women hurrying to get home, most likely trying to beat the wave of muggars that preyed the streets after dark. He ran full speed down the street, grunting as he ran around passerby.

He halted suddenly, standing in front of a tall building.

This building had looked familiar a week ago. Now it felt alien and strange. And... daunting.
He sprinted up the steps, not bothering to buzz himself in.

What am I doing? Alec thought. This is rash, isn't it?
He shook his bead to clear his thoughts, yet his mind had multiple sides of it, arguing with itself.

This is stupid.

Just do it!

This isn't going to justify anything.

"Shut up!" Alec shrieked. Grabbing his head.
"Am I really doing this?" he whispered aloud.

With a deep breath Alec let himself into the flat.