Chapter 24

Alec ran out of the loft. His jaw was aching, and so was his chest.

He desperately wanted to run back inside and hug Magnus. But he couldn't do that. He would look weak and pitiful.

Alec hated walking out like that. But Magnus shouldn't have pulled him away from that damn faerie! He didn't have a right to do that!

Yeah, he did. A voice in the back of his mind said. Alec pushed back the thought. He knew Magnus was right. He wouldn't admit it, of course.

Once inside the Institute, Alec walked to his bedroom. The rubble of the bed was still there.

Alec pushed aside some cardboard boxes and layed down on his back on the cool wood floor. He saw a smear of blood maybe a half foot away from his face. He wondered whether it was his blood or Jace's.

Isabelle came into the room quietly. She didn't say anything, just sat down next to Alec.

"Hey Izzy." He said. She didn't say anything.

"What's wrong?" Alec asked his sister. She bit her bottom lip nervously. Alec noticed that her eyes were red and puffy, as if she'd been crying.

"Isabelle, what happened?" Alec sat up, worried now. Was it Magnus? Had something happened to him?

For the first time since she'd come in, Isabelle looked at him.

"It - it's Jace." She said. "He's gone. Nobody knows where he is. Not even Clary." Alec stood up, grabbing a knife from his collection, and started walking out of the room.

"Where are you going?" Isabelle asked.

"To find Jace. I know where he is."

☆ ☆ ☆

Magnus stared at the door, still ajar. He slammed it closed, over and over again. It splintered; the crack joined the many that had been made before.

There was also blood on the floor; whether it was Alec or the faerie's, Magnus didn't know.

Stalking to the couch, he flipped through the channels on the T.V. There was nothing good on.

Magnus was torn. He could see why Alec was mad at him. But he could also see why he had to pull Alec off the faerie.

He hated Alec mad. Especially when it was at him. Magnus didn't know what else he could do. Going to Alec would probably make it worse.

But he couldn't just let Alec stay angry at him.

Deciding against going to Alec just yet, Magnus finally settled on a rerun of The Real Housewives. Rolling his eyes as Caitlyn started balling, he settled farther down into the couch.

☆ ☆ ☆

Alec stood at the base of the bridge. He had already drawn a glamour on himself, so he began climbing, level by level. The rusty metal scraped his hands as he went, and by the time he made it to the top, they were dirty and bleeding.

Alec swung himself up next to Jace.

"What do you want?" Jace said.

"Isabelle was worried." Alec replied simply.

"About us?"

"About you." Alec's voice was flat. He thought for a moment. "She probably thought you were going to jump." he said.

"Why would she think that?" Jace stared down at the water below.

"Because this is where I came to do just that."

Jace looked at Alec for the first time since he'd got there.