Ch 3: How To Save A Life

Arizona's POV

I just got out of surgery and I'm about to go find Alex to ask about the babies in the NICU, when Amelia pages me to the parking lot. The parking lot? I thought she was off twenty minutes ago.

I walk outside and I see her car in its regular spot to the left of the entrance. I head over to it and knock on the window. Nothing. I walk around to the other side and see that the driver's door is open.

"Amelia?" I call.

"Help! Arizona!" I hear her call from straight ahead.

I run over and find her with two little girls. One of them is bleeding out of her stomach.

I turn back, and see Owen come out of the hospital, looking confused.

"Owen!" I scream. "Get a gurney! Quickly!"

He comes back with it about two minutes later. Amelia has told me the girl's names and I learn that there is a tree branch in Emma's stomach. We lift her up onto the gurney and Owen takes her into the ER. Amelia and I page a surgical team to the OR, and when we find Meredith, she scrubs in with us, then we wait for Owen to send her up.

About halfway through the surgery, all of the bleeders are controlled so I find Emma's sister Kaylee.

"Hey. I'm Arizona. Emma is still in surgery but she's going to be okay. Are your parents here?" I ask.

"Uh, no. Not yet. Dr. Karev said they would be here by eleven."

I look at my watch. 10:46pm.

"Ok well until they come, I'll sit with you."

"Okay." She says.

We just sit there in silence until I realize that she's crying.

"Kaylee? What's wrong?" I ask concerned.

"It's all my fault. Mom said to watch her, but I was having so much fun and I didn't notice, they're going to be so mad,"

"They won't be mad. They will be happy that you're both alright." I give her a hug, and she leans her head on my shoulder. She eventually falls asleep and not too long after, her parents come in. I gently lay her head on the arm of the chair.

I update the parents and they sit with Kaylee. Emma comes out of surgery about half an hour later with a full recovery expected. I meet Amelia, Owen, and Meredith in the attending's lounge getting ready to leave.

"Shit. Today was absolutely crazy." Amelia says.

"You're telling me."

Sorry, it's been more than a week! I will now update every Tuesday or Wednesday. Omelia is coming soon, just be patient, and a character that Spoby_stories created will be coming in soon as well.