Ch 10: The Wise Man's Words

Amelia's POV

I'm going to meet Steve at the cafeteria for coffee so we can talk. I know that I won't start doing drugs again. I'm 1964 days sober. But I'm doing this for Charlotte, and IF Owen does die, it'll be good to have someone to talk to.

---------------------------------------------

"Hi! I'm Amelia!" I shake his hand.

"I'm Steve, as you already know." I sit down.

"So, you work for narcotics an anonymous?" I ask.

"Yes, I actually have a degree in psychology, and I was working in a private practice, but I decided that I wanted to work with narcotics anonymous when my wife died of a drug overdose." He explains.

"Oh. I'm sorry to hear that." I tell him.

"Thank-you. But we're not here to talk about me, this is all about you."

"Well, I'm Amelia Shepherd. I'm head of neuro here at the hospital, I used to work with Charlotte at a practice as well, and I live with my boyfriend, Owen Hunt, who used to be chief of surgery at this hospital."

"I understand he's pretty I'll right now?"

"Uh, yes. He needs a new heart, but he can't hold on for much longer."

"How are you handling this?"

I start to tear up. "Um, I'm a mess." A tear rolls down my cheek. "I've been staying with my sister in law because I just can't go home..... to our perfect new home, and remember that I'm perfectly healthy, an he's......" I put my head in my hands.

I feel a hand on my shoulder. I look up. Steve has a sympathetic look on his face. "I have some advice for you. Owen is sick. He may get better, but there's a big chance that he won't. All you can do about it, is comfort him, and make sure that he know you love him. As for the medical side of things, you are powerless. But you have endless amounts of power in saving other's husbands, wives, or children. So you need to get up, and go save someone's life, and hope and pray that someone will save Owen's."

I take it all in. It's really good advice actually. He reminds me of Sheldon. I wipe my tears away.

"Thank-you." I hug him, and promise that we'll do this again soon.

I go to Owen's room to visit him. When he sees me, his face lights up.

"Hey! How are you feeling?" I ask.

"I'm better now that your here." I smile, and snuggle up beside him. We just lay here in silence, enjoying each other's presence.

"Owen?"

"Mhhm?" He responds.

"I love you. No matter what."

"I know! I'm very likable."

"Hey!" I smack him on the back of the head.

We both start laughing.

"Dr. Shepherd?" Someone calls from the door. It's Edwards.

"Yes?"

"You're needed in the ER. It's urgent."

As I run out the door, I blow Owen a kiss.

When I get to the ER, Edwards presents.

"36 year old male. Trevor Hunt. He was knocked unconscious when a pile of bricks fell on top of him at a construction site. There's blood coming out of his ears and nose, and obvious head lacerations."

"Wait. Trevor Hunt? As in Owen's brother Trevor Hunt?"

Comments are always helpful and appreciated! Thanks!