Ch 8: Amoungst All The Good, There Must Be Evil

A week later:

Amelia's POV

I go home (to our new house!) around 6:30. I see Owen's already here, and I can smell something delicious.

"Owen! I'm home. Whatever your making! it smells amazing!" I call. I put my keys in the dish by the door, and walk around the boxes at the end of the couch.

"Owen?" I call again, maybe he didn't hear me. I hear a crash come from the kitchen.

"OWEN!" I run to the kitchen to see him on the floor, clutching his chest, trying to breathe, but failing miserably.

"Oh my!!........." With shaking hands, I pull my phone out and dial 911. The rest comes in a blur. I've called 911 a hundred times, but there's only one other time that's felt like this. Ryan. I thought I was over that, but I feel like I'm living it all over again.

When we get to the hospital, Maggie is waiting in the pit. When the doors open, she sees me. "Amelia? Is that?..."

I nod my head. I start sobbing. "Save him for me. Please."

---------------------------------------------

I sit in the waiting room, crying and I feel like my world has stopped, and I'm stuck here, in this awful, unforgettable moment, while everyone else is continuing their lives like any other day.

Someone touches my shoulder. I look up to see Maggie standing there with 'the face.'

"Oh no......no. No, no, no, no, no, no! He's not dead! He's not dead! Maggie please tell me he's not dead!?" I'm sobbing hysterically again.

"No Amelia. He's not dead." I hug her.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!"

She gently backs up. "Amelia, he has a giant tumor on his heart. It's blocking the blood flow, and it's inoperable."

I search Maggie's face for any sign of hope, but all I see is empathy.

"H-how long?" I ask, praying that it's longer than I think it is.

"A week. Maybe two, but we can put him on the transplant list." My heart drops.

"Does he know yet?"

She nods her head. "He just woke up."

"Can I see him?"

"Of course."

---------------------------------------------

I slowly walk up to his door, and knock.

He turns toward me, and gives me a weak smile. His face is pale, and his eyes have lost their sparkle. His red hair has faded to a dull orange, and he looks frail.

I go to his bed, and lay down next to him. He wraps his arms around me.

My entire world comes crashing down on top of me, and there's nothing I can do, but stand back and watch it crumble. My heart throbs for him. All I want to do, is hold him and tell him that it's going to be okay, but I can't because nothing's certain anymore, except for one thing....... You don't know what you've got until its gone.

Okay, so in the next chapter a new character will come in, and if you have any ideas for other characters, just let me know! Thanks!