Ch 7: Worth It

Amelia's POV

After we signed some papers on the house, I go back to the hospital to check on Sofia. I throw on some scrubs and a lab coat, then I head to the ICU. Callie and Arizona are already in there. They both shift their gazes to me.

"So, she's been out for two days post surgery, and that's not uncommon for severe cases like this. The good news is that there is brain activity. It looks like she'll regain full function, but we won't be sure until she wakes up."

'IF she wakes up' I think to myself.

"Thank you so much." Callie says. "For everything."

"I wish I could do more." I reply sympathetically.

I go out to the nurse's station to review her chart. Meredith is there.

"Hey. How are Zola and Bailey?" I ask.

"They're.......good. Worried about Sofia. How is she?"

"I don't know to be honest. Her stats are fine, she has normal brain activity, but I'm just no sure anymore."

"Ya, I have a patient from the fire that, he's Zola's teacher."

"Do they know what caused the fire yet?" I ask.

"The news said something about a gas leak, and the janitor was smoking."

I sighed. "All these children died because a janitor couldn't go until his break without a smoke?"

"Some people are really stupid." Meredith adds.

"Amelia!!" I turn around. It's Arizona. "Sofia's waking up!"

I run to her room. I shine my light in her eyes. "Can you follow the light."

She's responsive.

"Hi Sofia! It's me, Amelia. You were in a fire at your school, but we fixed you up, and you're going to be fine."

She looks at Callie. "Mommy, when can I go home?"

Arizona and Callie start laughing and crying at the same time. They all share a long hug.

Arizona comes over to me. "Thank you. For our daughter." She starts crying harder.

"Hey, anytime." I give her a hug.

When a tragedy hits, you don't know if you'll live to see tomorrow, but if you make it to the other side, you're often left thinking that it was totally worth it.