Ch 14: Working It Out

Amelia's POV

I've called in sick 3 days in a row now. I've just been sitting at home, retracing every single one of my steps, wondering if I could have possibly made a mistake, or given up too early. There have been lots of tears shed, and I haven't shower in 4 days, so my hair is basically sticking to my skull. Finally, I can't stand sitting on my butt any longer, so I pull out my phone and dial a number that I just recently saved as a contact.

"Hello?" The deep, but friendly voice answers.

"It's Amelia." I say. "Can we talk?"

---------------------------------------------

When I walk into the coffee shop, I immediately spot him sitting at a table by the window.

As I sit down, I say, "Thank-you for coming Steve. I didn't know who else to call."

"Well I'm glad to help. What can I do for you today?" He asks.

So I proceed to tell him about Trevor, and how Owen got his heart after he died in my surgery. When I'm done, he just sits there for a minute, probably pondering what he's going to say to me.

After awhile, he folds his hands together on the table, and leans forward.

"So you really love this guy, Owen?" He asks.

"Yes. Of course. There's nobody I love more."

"And you believe that you did absolutely everything in your power to try and save his brother, but despite your best efforts, he still died."

"Well, yes."

"You have your answer then, don't you? Owen isn't mad at YOU. He's mad that his brother is dead, an he needs someone to blame for the tragedy. If you really love him and he really loves you, when you go back there, an tell him exactly what you just told me, he will forgive you. He will still love you."

I think about it for a moment. "I have to go, and talk to Owen. Thank-you so much for the advice."

"Yes. Go get your man back. And you might want to take a shower.... I'll talk to you later." He says as I rush out the door.

"Right! Shower, thanks!"

---------------------------------------------

When I get to the hospital, I ask the nurse what room he's in, and when she tells me, I walk very quickly down the hall. As I approach his door, I start to get nervous, but then I remember what Steve said. I knock on the door. He looks at me.

I smile. "I need to talk to you, and I'm not taking no for an answer."

I explain everything to him that Steve told me to. When I'm finished, he takes my hand.

"I know it wasn't your fault, and I forgive you. I'm sorry that I blamed you. I was just so angry, and shocked." He leans in for a kiss, and I don't object. When we pull back, he looks at me with his brilliant blue eyes.

"There's one more thing I need to ask you." I say.

"Mhhm?" He replies.

"Marry me."