Ch 5: Working Magic

Amelia's POV

"Shit!" I yell under my breath.

I look around. Arizona's not here. Good.

"Alright, Edwards, Wilson, you're with me."

We take her to the ER.

"Wilson, you can stitch up these cuts in the OR, Edwards, order a CT."

Just then, Dr. Bailey comes in. "What do we got?"

"Jane Doe, 8 years old. Possible brain bleed, bleeding in the abdomen,and abnormal breathing." I answer, hoping she doesn't see who it is.

"Okay, book an OR, and tell them to start prepping." She says, then leaves.

We start wheeling her out. "Dr. Shepherd, isn't that Dr. Torrez and Dr. Robbins daughter?" Wilson asks.

"Yes, and you're no going to say anything to anyone until after the surgery, got it?"

"Of course."

---------------------------------------------

I'm finishing up Sofia's surgery. Maggie just left, after she relieved the pressure in her chest, and Dr. Bailey's still working on the internal bleeding,when my phone rings.

"It's Dr. Grey." The scrub nurse says.

"Okay." She holds it up to my ear.

"Meredith?" I ask.

"Amelia! Are my kids there?! It's their school that had the fire, and I can't find them anywhere! Are they okay?!"

"Meredith. Calm down. I'm finished my surgery now, so I'm going to go look for them, then I'll call you back. Don't worry. I'm sure they're fine."

"Okay, as soon as you know, tell me."

"I will. Bye." The nurse hangs up.

"Okay, Edwards you're closing. Wilson, finish up with the stitches then come find me."

I rip off my gown, and my mask, and scrub out. I basically run down the hall and to the elevator. I get inside and press the button for the first floor. It takes seconds for the doors to close, but it seems like forever. I press the button over, and over.

"You know, it doesn't matter how many times you press it, its still not going to go faster."

I turn around. It's Owen.

"I know. It's just-" I start to cry. "It's Meredith's kids, and I don't know what I'd do if they were hurt, and-"

"Hey." He puts his arms around me. "Everything's going to be fine."

"I wish I could believe you."

The elevator door opens and I break my embrace with Owen.

"See you later." he calls as I continue to jog to the waiting room. It's crowned with worried parents, frantic to find out news about their children. I stand up on the stairs and see I Ivan spot Zola or Bailey.

"Excuse me!" I shout. some people stop and look at me, others keep talking. "Can everyone listen here please?!"

They all quiet down. "Thank you. I know that you're all desperately waiting to here about your kids and I'm sure when their doctor has a chance, they will come notify you. But right now, I need your help. I looking for Zola and Bailey Grey-Shepherd." They all look around, but no one comes forward.

Just then, I see a little hand wave from the middle of the crowd. "Aunt Amelia!" It's Zola.

"Zola?!" I push through until I get to her. Bailey is right there also, holding her hand.

"Oh my........ Thank goodness you're both okay!" I sigh a breath of relief.

"Okay, come with me, we're going to wait for your mom."

---------------------------------------------

I drop them off at daycare, call Meredith, and go find Arizona. She's in the NICU talking to a patients family.

"Dr. Robbins, can I speak to you for a moment?"

"Sure." She follows me into the hall.

"What's up?"

"So, you know about the fire?"

"Ya, at the school, right?"

"Mmhm. Well, it was Sofia's school, an she came in earlier today with many injuries."

"Oh my....... it never even crossed my mind!" She starts breathing faster. "Is she okay?"

"Well, she has a lot of internal bleeding, she also had a brain bleed. I was able to locate the source and stop it. Dr. Bailey did the same, but we won't know anything until she wakes up.

She's crying now. "Show me where her room is."

I direct her down the hall to the ICU. Arizona gasps when she sees her. She runs over to her bed.

"Sofia!" She cries, and starts stroking her hair. "Oh, Sofia."

Sometimes, life catches you off guard, and you're expected to get back up on your feet again. And it's hard, but somehow, you have to get through it. You have to figure it out.