Chapter 1: Home For The Summer

***

***

Boston, Massachusetts
June 11th, 1990
***

The clear azure sky spread across the horizon as white puffy clouds scattered above the beautiful city of Boston, Massachusetts.

My brown eyes watched the pretty scenery from outside my bedroom window. The seasons quickly changed from spring to summer, and another semester was in the books for me at the University of Berkeley, where I was majoring in English to become a writer.

Ever since I can remember, being involved with writing and creating new stories has always been a huge part of my life. I've always loved taking my imagination to new places and letting my thoughts go wild across paper. Writing helped me stay away from the streets growing up in Dorchester.

Anyways, I'd just come back from California and planned to spend my summer back home with my family, and hopefully my friends, too.

My eyes slowly drifted at the picture frame placed on my dresser. A picture of me with my five favorite guys, the New Kids on the Block. They were known as "America's hardest working kids in show business," but more importantly, they were my close friends...

...seriously.

When I was about six years-old, my parents and I moved to Boston from San Diego. The first time I met Jordan Knight was at Trotter Elementary in Roxbury. He also happened to live up the street from my house.

Soon enough, I met his whole family, including Jonathan, who sort of became an older brother to me.

As the years went on, Jordan told me about this new singing group Donnie Wahlberg was apart of. He was looking to recruit other boys to try out. I knew Donnie from Trotter, but didn't really get to know him until we Attended Wheatley Middle School.

At first, Jordan wasn't sure about trying out for the group. He was doubting himself and his ability to sing. I did my best in encouraging him to try out, telling him that it's not everyday you get a chance to do something incredible like this, and in the end he'd tried out and got the part.

Two other boys were already apart of the group along with Donnie and Jordan, their names are Danny Wood and Jamie Kelly. Both attended Trotter and Wheatley as with everyone else.

When Jonathan heard that his little brother joined the group, he felt left out, and decided to try out so that he can something together with his brother. He got in the group, too.

Once the group got together, they were known as "NYNUK" (Na-nook), which was a very strange name to be honest. The choice of name was chosen by their producer, Maurice Starr, who worked with New Edition.

When it seemed everything in the new band was going great, Jamie soon left the group because of several differences amongst the other members. They needed a replacement, and Maurice was looking for someone much younger, who can be like a young Michael Jackson.