Chapter 20: Faded Fire

June swept over our heads as the hot month of July waltzed into our lives without missing a beat in the last few days. The final show in Noblesville, Indiana had just finished tonight with the crowds of screaming Blockheads, a name for the New Kids fans, becoming the loudest bunch to successfully caused internal damage to my eardrums. While being on the tour with my friends, I let it became my own personal game for entertainment to decide which fans were by far the loudest during each concert.

I was now backstage with my back leaned against the cold concrete wall keeping my distance as the girls who managed to get their hands on backstage passes waited impatiently to get a chance with their idols. My coffee eyes studied the handsome being surrounded in a circle of hungry teenage girls as his warm brown orbs looked back at me secretly while giving his attention to his fans. Jordan was adored by these girls who could put him on the highest pedestal and do anything for him within every heartbeat, but the only thing on his mind was the girl staring at him from the short distance during all of this commotion.

Among the group of teenagers stood a young girl with blonde hair fashioned in a side ponytail and bright blue eyes sparkling straight at her crush, Jordan Knight. He noticed her and gave a large grin as he was asked to autograph her concert tee to which he happily agreed and after he did so, he embraced her tightly. My pink lips widened after witnessing this sweet moment. Jordan knew how to treat his fans, especially his younger ones. Being around kids seemed natural to him and sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have a family with Jordan. There were times I fantasized the two of us being married in a small church surrounded with close family and friends and having a family together. It would be a dream coming true. After my wonderful thoughts snapped me back into reality, I felt his gaze again and my heart stepped over its natural rhythm while the burning sensation in my stomach began to stir inside. He never failed in making me feel this way.

"Stephanie!" My eyes looked away from my boyfriend as I turned my attention to where my name was being called. It was both Joe and Jonathan. I smiled warmly at them and felt myself being pulled into individual hugs before standing before them.

"Come on, Steph. Let's go through the halls before we head back to the hotel." Joe told me with those beautiful blue eyes and charming smile as it was hard to resist.

"Yeah, my brother wouldn't mind if you come and hang out with us." Jon told me with a grin as I smiled at them. I agreed to go with them on a little adventure through backstage one last time. 

Once the New Kids arrived back to the hotel, they settled into their bedrooms to unwind and get some sleep before leaving for the next city in the early morning. I stood before the closed window staring off into another different city during the night time. It was great to see all of these new places within the United States and be around my friends and boyfriend in the middle of their popularity, but at the same time I felt a little home sick. I missed Boston and my parents, it was my plan to spend my summer with them at home but that didn't go according. They understood and I promise to make it up to them this Christmas break. I'll be sure to call them again tomorrow once everything is settled down in Cincinnati. There's also part of me that misses my other home in California and the friends I've made there, including my best friend, Anne. The two of us share an apartment together about a few blocks away from UC Berkeley, where we both attend. She was a Los Angeles native majoring in Art History and clicked instantly. Anne loved the New Kids on the Block, it was one of the first things I knew about her. She wasn't over the top with them like some girls I met at school, but it also worried me at first. I've lost people who I thought were my friends because I knew the famous group and since then I've been more careful which is why Anne still doesn't know my secret. But I learned that Anne could be trusted and she really was my best friend. Once I return to California, I planned to tell her and hopefully she wouldn't be too mad at me for keeping this from her.