Chapter 30: A Surprise Visit

A light breeze blew through my open bedroom window making my soft blue curtains dance in the gentle wind. It was another chilly October night in the San Francisco Bay Area, the perfect month to wear sweaters and snuggle in a warm blanket all day. Fall was already here and the holidays were just around the corner as I couldn't wait to finish another semester and be back home in Boston. After shutting my window, I sat back down on my bed crossing my legs as I continued to look through my scrapbook and flipped through each page decorated with photos of Anne and I, our friends from school, as well as Donnie, Danny, Jordan, Jon, and Joe. It's been nearly a month since we saw them in Los Angeles and the last time I was with Jordan.

In those remaining two and a half weeks in September, Jordan's letters continued to fill the mailbox telling me he was back home in Boston with the guys and describing all the things he did with his family and friends after touring across the U.S. this summer. He even told me about a new album, the guys were working on and it was going to be released sometime next month. He also wrote about how he was looking forward to the second leg of the tour in Canada, but before that even happens, the New Kids were flying to Santiago, Chile, to perform for the Amnesty International concert. I first heard about it on Entertainment Tonight a few days ago while working on my poem for my Creative Writing class in front of the t.v. in the living room. The concert was to celebrate Chile's return to democracy after being under a dangerous dictatorship since the 1970's. Unfortunately, the concert wasn't going to be televised here in the States, so it was a bit of a disappointment. And although Jordan was looking forward to the benefit concert, he hopes his time at home won't go by fast and I don't blame him, touring non-stop city after city can be exhausting and each of them deserved a nice break. They hardly ever get some time to themselves since their fame really took off.

Also in his letter, Jordan expressed how much he missed me and how he wishes I was back in Boston. He wanted the two of us to spend time together. Even though he's happy to be home, he told me it's not the same without me and my heart slightly fell when I read that. There's no doubt in my mind that I would have been there in a heartbeat, but I really couldn't leave everything here and go home. I couldn't miss any of my classes, school was halfway done and with final exams coming up in the first week of December it was important I stayed here. Jordan does understand that school is important to me, but he's beginning to realize how much our relationship is going to need a lot of work with the trouble finding time together. He's not doubting us though, he's going to keep on fighting and I need to continue to be strong and I know we will see each other real soon.

Mindlessly turning the pages of my scrapbook, I heard a light tap against my opened door and looked up to see Anne standing there with small grin on her face. She couldn't fool me though, she was heartbroken and desperately missed Jonathan. There were times he would call her and write letters to her to ease the pain temporarily, but she's now realizing that long distant relationships completely suck in life.

"Can I come in?" I heard her voice speaking out softly, as she looked at me with sad green eyes.

"Yeah, of course, Anne." I gave her a warm grin to know she's always welcome in my bedroom. I wondered if I looked as sad as she was the day I came back after spending my summer with the New Kids on tour. I really felt for my best friend though and she wasn't going in this alone.

"What are you doing?" Anne took a seat on the edge of my bed, seeing the open scrapbook filled with pictures of us hanging out with the guys the night we visited them in the Bungalows at the Beverly Hills Hotel.

"Just reminiscing that's all. I forgot how many photos there were of the guys in this book..." My voice softly answered as my heart sank. No matter how many times I've been around to see the guys leave on the road, it always breaks my heart because I'm always going to miss them every time. And even though I don't let it show, it always kills me inside.