Chapter 24: Birthday Wishes

Two weeks had gone by and the fall semester at UC Berkeley had been back in session. Surprisingly, I had no overly strict professors and that helped release some of the pressure off my shoulders and the fact I only had classes every Tuesday and Thursday. In the span of these weeks, I looked forward to the mail I received that never failed to brighten my day. The mailbox filled with letters from Danny, Joe, Jonathan, Donnie and Jordan always put a smile on my face. I enjoyed reading about their sensational moments in Tennessee while also trying to find some leisure time away from the madness. Immediately, I would write back to them and let them know about what was going on in my time at Berkeley even if my life seemed somewhat dull. But they love that kind of down to earth junk because it gave them a sense of normality. Sometimes, I think they miss being the regular guys from Boston, but at the same time, I know they wouldn't trade being the New Kids for anything else in the world. They love what they're doing and that's all that matters.

Speaking about letters, Jordan has sent me one for every week and his phone calls would make up for the absent time. And just being able to hear his familiar voice only made my heart yearn for him. The feeling made it bittersweet because he makes my heart skip several beats but also has pulled on the heart strings realizing he's far away and I can't be near him. When we were friends, I felt the detachment when he went on tour last year and I felt it growing deeper now were together.

My memory jogged itself as the conversation we had over the phone a week before my birthday replayed in my mind. Jordan and the guys were in South Carolina in the city of Greenville to perform a concert there. On the other line, he clearly showed off his enthusiasm and hinted about the present he had bought me. Obviously, he wouldn't reveal exactly what the present was and only teased me to wait until it arrives at my apartment by mail.

Damn you, Jordan Knight.

I felt the warm August sun against my skin as I stroll down the college campus after my English Literature class ended. Today is officially my birthday and I'm happily turning twenty years old. The stars seemed to be aligned perfectly because this whole day had nothing negative about it.

This morning I was woken up to a dozen colorful balloons placed in my bedroom and the soft vocals of Jonathan's voice singing 'Happy Birthday' from the Step By Step album played on repeat. The mastermind behind it was Anne and it was a great way to start my morning especially on my special day. She truly is the best. Then at school, the friends in my classes brought me balloons, presents, and also a thoughtful birthday cupcake.

Finally, I reached the drive way outside of the apartment and parked my red 1988 Volkswagen Cabriolet, a graduation gift from my aunt and uncle. They reside in the city of San Diego, the place I grew up until I was six. After getting out of the car, I grabbed my backpack, the balloons, and birthday gifts from the backseat except for the cupcake. I ate it in between the free time I had between Creative Writing and English Lit. My black Keds felt as though they were filled with lead weights as I climbed up the concrete steps leading to the apartment. For an almost perfect birthday, it sure made me exhausted and I couldn't wait to lie on my bed for a while. Pushing through the front door once I was able to unlock it, I called for my best friend for some assistance.

"Hey, Anne, I'm back! I could also use a little help." I heard my voice vibrating throughout the place, as Anne's head popped out of her bedroom door with a wide grin on her face. She quickly came to my aid, taking the gifts from my hands and placing them by the coffee table in the living room.

"So guess what came in the mail for you, birthday girl? I'll give you a hint it's from a certain Kid on the Block." Her voice sang in tune. There was a small brown package on that coffee table which Anne held it in her hands, giving it to me once I let the balloons free from my hand and dropped my backpack on the sitting chair.