Chapter 36: Unexpectant Surprises

As the venue began filling up with highly anticipated and overly excited Blockheads, there was no doubt in my mind this will be another incredible night.

Ever since Anne and I received our tickets last month in November, we thought that waiting for tonight couldn't have gone soon enough. But, now, that we're finally here in the moment, we could finally kick off our long awaited winter break of 1990.

We couldn't remain still in our seats just a few feet away from the main stage, we were giddy as if discovering these guys for the very first time. Sure, we were embarrassing ourselves, but we didn't care. We loved these guys so much that it was impossible to contain our excitement.

Finally, the lights inside the arena blacked out and everyone began screaming right on cue. The concert was about to begin and broadcast live all over the world. My best friend and I quickly pushed ourselves on our feet, feeling the cartwheels of butterflies inside our stomachs.

The voice of Johnny Wright, the New Kids announcer, echoed throughout the venue, asking if all of us were ready for the New Kids on the Block by calling out their names individually. Their animated counterparts from the cartoon series magically appeared on the large, black screen placed on the top level stage.

When the names of Jordan, Joe, and Donnie were announced, they had the loudest screams from the audience, while on the other hand, Danny and Jon received little less enthusiasm.

I get it.

Jordan, Donnie and Joe were known to be the most popular ones out of the five. Still, Danny and Jon deserved the same amount of love and recognition just as the others. And, when their names were called out, Anne and I made sure to show that love by screaming as loud as we could. We ended up straining our voices a bit, but it was worth it.

Soon, the cartoon New Kids were replaced with image stills of the real Kids and soon a cloud of smoke erupted from the screen. Once it died down, the five men from Boston appeared on stage, real and in person. The special effects screen disappeared from above and the high-pitched screams, including Anne's and mine, filled the air.

Their live band kick off the concert with "Call It What You Want", and the guys took their cues hopping off the top platform. They reached their microphones from center stage and the fun was about to begin.

Moving my body freely to the high energy music, Jordan's handsome eyes would flash over to me with an irresistible grin appearing on his kissable lips. And every single time he did so, my heart danced to the rhythm of his steps.

"AHHH! YOU'RE SO IN LOVE, GIRL!" I heard Anne's voice squealing in my ear. She began shaking me with excitement almost making me feel dizzy for a few seconds. We burst out laughing after that as we turned back to the concert.

Within a minute, Anne's sparkling eyes quickly caught Jonathan's attention when he passed by us. His eyes were locked on her and his lips grew into a wide smile, she could have fainted at any second.

"OH, GIRL! YOU'RE SO IN LOVE!" I teased back at her, shaking her lightly as she'd done to me when I made eyes at her boyfriend's brother. We started laughing again as we danced and watched the guys perform on stage.

Though we loved the attention from Jon and Jordan, we made sure not to neglect the others, too. And, Donnie being the most outgoing one of the group, always loved to go the extra mile for us by giving us some amazing pelvic thrusts. The girls screamed along with us, but it was all innocent fun from the "bad boy".

'Let's hope that's all it is...' I silently spoke within my thoughts, trying not to take things out of context.

'Oh, come on! Don't take Donnie's actions to heart! That's how he is, always wanting to make sure that you and Anne are having a great time tonight. He's been like that at every concert you've attended with him and on stage with the New Kids. He's always been like this, Steph.' I silently pointed out, thinking that Donnie really hasn't changed at all. 'And, besides, Jordan knows how Donnie is. He seems fine with the things he does since he hasn't made any comment about it, so don't worry. Just have fun.' It's true, Jordan hasn't been concerned over the way Donnie acts when he's around me.