Chapter 38: A New Year, A New Problem

Berkeley, California
Jan. 3rd 1991
***

The sounds of birds chirping and cars driving past streets was heard outside my window. The sunlight peeked through my bedroom window as I remained motionless in bed reminiscing the moment that had changed my life forever.

***
Christmas Day
Boston, 1990
***

"Anne, I think I'm pregnant." I choked out over the toilet and clenched my stomach. The burning sensation it created made me want to die.

"H-how is that possible? I thought you made it clear to Jordan to always use protection..." Her voice slowly trailed off, staring at me with a worried expression. "Oh no, Steph. Don't tell me that night in Providence, he didn't?" Anne cut herself off, as I gave her a simple nod in response.

Tears formed within my eyes, mainly due to the pain of sickness inside my stomach, but also because of the fear of everyone knowing I was possibly pregnant.

"Ssh, it's going to be okay, Steph. I'll help you get through this, I promise. Maybe, you're not pregnant, though. I'll go to the nearest drug store to buy a test just so we can be sure." Anne suddenly got up from the floor and rushed towards the door before freezing in place.

"I don't suppose anything is opened on Christmas, huh?" She looked at me, biting her lower lip as she placed her hand over her face in realization.

"No, but I always kept one as a precaution. You'll find it in the Kotex box under the bathroom sink." I spoke out in between breathes. Anne immediately crouched in front of the bathroom cabinet and after a few seconds of rummaging through the box of feminine pads, she found the test.

***

Anne had left the bathroom to give me some privacy, but not before handing me a glass of water and at the same time trying to avoid my parents with the fear of telling them what's wrong with their daughter.

Soon the seconds turned into minutes and the timer set up for four minutes had gone off, causing me to jump from my seat inside the dry bathtub.

Part of me hesitated a bit as I climbed out of the tub and turned off the timer before glancing at the used test resting on the bathroom countertop.

I was in fact pregnant.

***

I slowly opened the bathroom door, finding Anne standing in the hallway nervous as hell.

"So, are you..." Before she could finish her question, I cut her off.

"Yes." I showed her the test, revealing the blue positive sign in the small window. Tears reappeared from my eyes as Anne instinctively wrapped me in her arms for comfort.

It's scary to think that after one night having unprotected sex could lead to a drastic change in one's life.

"How are you going to tell Jordan?" Anne's voice caused a dead weight to sink inside me.

Hundreds, if not thousands of questions and scenarios flooded my head that I couldn't think of an answer.

"I-I don't know. I can't walk up to him and say, "Merry Christmas Jordan! Guess what? I'm pregnant!" I let out unenthusiastic, placing my hands over my face in frustration.

"I'll have to tell him some point today, alone." I responded to her soon after, hoping everything will be alright.

That moment never came.