.:2:.

Ashley led me to the edge of the courtyard, as we leaned against the rusty fence. It was incredibly uncomfortable, but we had to be as far away from everyone as possible so that we could talk.

From my observations, I noticed that jail worked very much like a school: there were different groups and each had their own thing.

There were the huge, muscular, intimidating men, who I was comparing to someone like the 'jocks' or maybe the football team. They were the ones who were in here for serious crimes like murder, terrorism and rape. Of course, I was here because of one of those three options too, but I was different, because I didn't actually do it and I was harmless. They, however, looked like they could snap my neck with the flick of a wrist. Most men from that group were working out using the equipment provided in the courtyard, or just talking. Surprisingly, even though they looked like something I'd have nightmares about, they seemed peaceful enough. Also I noticed the man from before, Danny, was with them, but he didn't even give me a glance, as he chatted away to a tall man with that annoying British accent of his.

Another group I noticed were the 'troublemakers'. I wasn't sure if they were doing bad things for attention or because they found it funny. Either way, I saw them passing around cigarettes and packets of - what I concluded to be - drugs. Even though they were nowhere as big as some of the others, they were the first to pick fights and obviously did not take anyone's bullshit. I made a mental note to stay away from them, if I wanted to leave this place with working legs.

There were also the quiet ones. They were much like the loners but, instead of being lonely by themselves, they were lonely together. It was obvious that they had no intention of breaking any rules or standing up to anyone.

But another thing I saw was that you had to stand up to people, otherwise you were as good as dead. I made the mistake of cowering away, while facing Danny, and that was why it was so easy for him to take advantage of me. If Ashley did not show up, then God knows what would have happened.

Ah, yes. Ashley and his group. They were almost like those strange kids who always sat at the back of the class and found everything the teacher said funny, in a way. All of them were here for things like drugs, robberies, theft. I hoped to keep a stable place in their group, because they seemed safe enough to be around, even though I probably belonged with the quiet ones or just by myself.

I glanced up at the sky, seeing nothing but grey clouds obstruct the view of the Sun. It was a miserable day. But, then again, every day would be a miserable day from now on.

Ashley and I stayed silent for a while, even though we had originally arrived here to talk. From the corner of my eye, I noticed something peculiar. As a row of guards exited the prison building, a whole bunch of men followed them. Like me, they were dressed in orange, so they could not have been from the police, but, if so, why were they helping out the guards with carrying boxes across the courtyard?

"What's going on there?" I asked Ashley, nodding in the direction of the mob of people. He averted his gaze to where I was looking and automatically scrunched up his nose in - what I assumed was - disgust.

"Those desperate, little bitches are crawling up the police's ass, to get out of here early," he spat and I stared at him in confusion. Seeing my expression, he decided to enlighten me further. "We get reports written about us and our behaviour every three months. If they see that we're being helpful and nice and generally positive, they might consider cutting our sentence shorter and letting us out early. That's why those idiots are trying to get onto everyone's good side... I see no point though. Like, I was originally supposed to be here for 9 years. I've already served nearly a year - eleven months to be exact - and, just by not causing any trouble, they've decreased my sentence by five months. Now I have only 7 years and 8 months left, even though I should have had 8 years and 1 month. And all that from not getting on anyone's bad side."