.:11:.

I unenthusiastically observed the uneventful game of football (as in soccer), which most people were participating in. Obviously, I was not. Physical activities were never something I enjoyed, although I was probably one of the weakest and most unfit people here, I did not plan on changing that. Even simply watching it felt worse than the most brutal torture, but I forced myself to do it for my own good.

The prisoners were allowed to play a chosen sport, once a week, on the paved part of the courtyard, but now was the first time I was actually here to watch. On all other occasions, I was avoiding it with Vic, in my cell or at Work Experience. Today, everyone had agreed on playing football and that made me dread the day even more.

Why was I dreading the day, in the first place? Vic would be out of solitary confinement. That was also the only reason why I was on the courtyard in the first place: I wanted witnesses when he would inevitably murder me. It would not exactly help me personally at all, as no one would dare stop him (probably not even the officers and, when he was wrestling Mike, they only did so because they were brothers), but at least he would get what he deserves afterwards. Also, I was afraid of being alone with Vic. He would surely do something reckless and I did not want to be by myself when it would happen.

I felt almost guilty for thinking so badly of someone I had grown to trust, but he was as unpredictable as a wild animal which could prance on you at any given moment. I had to remind myself that Vic was not my friend and that he was out to get me, just like most people here.

My eyes were fixated on Gerard, who was currently swiftly dribbling the ball to the opposing team's goal. His long hair was loosely tucked behind his ear, to avoid obstructing his vision, and there was a thin layer of sweat on his forehead. Just as he was about to score, a man who I recognised as part of the 'troublemakers' group ran into him from the side, brutally knocking them both to the ground with an evident thud. They fell onto the concrete and I winced, almost feeling the impact of the hard ground on my own skin. A whistle was blown and, in less than a couple of seconds, Frank had sprinted across the entirety of the pitch and was kneeling down next to Gee to make sure that he was alright, as the referee approached them. It was sure to leave a bruise or two, but I was positive that Gee would be fine.

Gerard's attacker was ordered off the pitch and the game started up again, as if nothing had ever happened. I was paying so much attention to them that I nearly did not notice a very familiar man exit the building. Nearly. My eyes widened in horror, as I watched Vic speedily make his way towards me with the brightest of smiles on his face, like a child on Christmas day. I pushed myself off the fence and stiffly stood on my two feet, never taking my eyes off him in case he pulled out a knife and attempted to slit my throat. Not that I would have been able to do much about it, with how weak I was, but it was worth a try.

As he finally reached me, Vic outstretched his arms to pull me into a hug (where he would probably strangle me and play it off as an accident), not caring that everyone would see us as they were still afraid of him more than anything else in the world. Usually, I would have gladly accepted it but, this time, I stepped away from the short man, not feeling a tad of remorse when his face completely shattered from a cheerful grin into a heartbroken frown. Vic's eyebrows knitted in confusion and his face showed a look of hurt and betrayal. However, I kept telling myself that it was not real and he was just pretending. Vic would be a great actor.

Of course, it was difficult for me too. I had grown extremely close to Vic and it was painful to just break it off with him, especially after craving his presence for an entire week, but I would rather be safe than sorry. He probably had not changed at all and, if I did not end this, I would end up just like his three previous victims. And I was not ready to die just yet.