.:10:.

I stumbled back slightly, perplexed by what had just happened. Why couldn't Mike have bumped into me earlier? Then I would not have heard Danny's story of why Vic was in jail.. At the beginning, I was extremely curious; but now, I would do anything to have all traces of it gone from my mind. I did not want to be around anyone but, as Mike inevitably knew Vic, he was my only real source of information.

Maybe Danny had lied. Maybe he just wanted to frighten me so that I would stop being allied with Vic and he could beat me up all he wants. But the story felt so realistic. Danny was not clever enough to think up something like that, as twisted as he may have been. I would be surprised if he could even count to 10, with that thick skull of his.

This explained why everyone was so afraid of Vic. There were terrorists, serial killers and assassins here, in jail, but none of them committed murder the way Vic had. Vic turned against the ones who trusted him most and backstabbed them (literally).

"I'm not crying," I snapped at Mike, even though I was lying through my teeth. It was undeniable with my flushed face, quivering hands and lonely tears flooding my cheeks. I wiped at my eyes in embarrassment, hating the fact that I was showing such weakness in front of him. Why do I always end up breaking the crucial rules of being in jail?

The hallway was empty, as most people were at Work Experience or in their cells, so no one else was around, although I could hear the faint distant footsteps of an officer probably patrolling the area.

"Are you okay?" Mike seemed generally concerned. How could someone, who was obviously somehow related to a cold-blooded murderer, be so kind? Then again, Vic was kind too, but Mike was here only for drugs.

By now, I was doubting whether he was Vic's brother or not as, from what Danny had told me, Vic's brother was dead. Although, he could have had more siblings and that would explain a lot. Still, I needed to find out from Mike himself.

"Yeah... Can we talk somewhere private?" I sniffled.

"Is my cell private enough?"

"Yes."

And so Mike lead me through the wide corridors to where his cell was. After the whole problem with Vic, Mike was moved to a different section of the prison to avoid further trouble. I was surprised they did not do that with me, but I guessed that Danny had been there too long to be moved and I was there not long enough to be moved. Then again, at the time, Mike had only spent a day in jail. Somehow, his and Vic's situation must have been different and that worried me.

I was worrying too much about that short Mexican, although he was a psychopathic criminal.

What surprised me most was the fact that Vic had not hurt me yet. Hell, he barely even touched me! Other than a warm hug once in a while or an accidental nudge, Vic and I never had much skin-to-skin contact. What was he waiting for? He obviously wanted me to have the same fate as his best friend, girlfriend and brother, so why was I still alive? He could easily knock out an officer or two, lead me somewhere where there are no cameras, and end my pathetic existence without getting caught. Did he want to make me trust him more, so that it would be easier for him? No, from what I heard from Danny, he did not like going easy. So why was he dragging this out so much?

After a walk which took much longer than necessary – mainly because Mike still did not know his way around this place and we got lost, leaving us to ask a patrolling officer for directions, as I had never been to his cell before or this part of Irongate Prison either – we stepped into his room which was identical to mine. All rooms here looked the same.

Mike gestured for me to sit at his desk, while he took a place on his bed. He made himself comfortable, by unzipping his orange jumpsuit and sliding it halfway down his body to reveal a tattooed chest, and, relaxed, he lay down. I, too, took notice of how hot it was today and rolled my sleeves up, not comfortable with showing much more than that. Mike was obviously more well-built than I was and I did not want to stump my self-image even further.