7: Teens Sing

Chapter Seven
Riley Matthews

    "Knock, knock, knock!" I looked over at my bay window to see that Maya was knocking on it. I sighed, then opened it up without looking at her. Maya crawled into my room and sat down right next to me on the bay window seat. It was now 7:00 and Maya was now at my house to pick me up and take me to some karaoke club called, Teens Sing.

    "Hey, Riley!" Maya greeted me.

    "Why hello, Maya," I replied, finally turning my head towards her.

    I noticed that Maya was wearing a blue dress, a black blazer, and black boots.

    "Your outfit looks nice," I complimented her.

    "Thanks!" She replied.

    I waited for Maya to compliment me back, but she didn't.

    "What, do I not look fabulous tonight?" I questioned as I flipped my hair.

    "No, it's just that I've seen you wear that so many times lately," Maya answered.

    "False. My new black dresses may look similar, but this is not all I have been wearing ever since I changed my attitude and gave myself a makeover. You may have seen me wear this once or twice before, but that should be about it."

    There was a short moment of silence.

    "You need to change," Maya finally spoke up.

    "What?" I asked, giving her a shocked look.

    "You need to change, Riley."

    "Why? What's wrong with what I have on?"

    "Nothing. But if you saw someone singing a cheery song while wearing something depressing like that, what would you think?"

    "What makes you think that I'm going to sing something cheery?"

    "Riley, do you even know any sad songs that well?"

    I thought for a moment. I didn't think about that. Man, I can't believe that I've been depressed like this for this long and I haven't even thought of listening to sad music.

    "Oh, I know tons!" I lied.

    "Oh, really?" Maya questioned as she leaned forward, smirking as if she knew I was lying, "Name one."

    I thought for a second. "You wouldn't know any of them."

    "Name one!"

    "I don't know any, ok?!?!"

    Maya leaned back, put her arms around her head, and smirked again. "That's what I thought."

    "I am not changing! I am keeping on my black dress and that is final!"

    Maya smirked as she held up the hand that she wore her friendship ring on. Oh no, not again...

    "Ring power!" She exclaimed.

    I rolled my eyes and sighed. Why did we even come up with this 'ring power' rule in the first place?