47: Live Like We're Dying

Chapter Forty-Seven
Maya Hart

*Start playing "Live Like We're Dying" by Kris Allen. Lyric vid above*

"Beep, beep, beep!" The sound of the alarm clock went, waking Riley and I up from our slumber.

My eyes slowly fluttered open. Everything was pitch black, making it so that I could hardly see. The only thing that laminated the room was the digital clock of course. Yawning and stretching, I slowly sat up in bed. I felt my way for the edge of the bed and swung my feet over it. I pushed myself off of the bed and through the darkness, attempted to make my way towards a light switch. "THUD!!!" was the next thing that Riley and I heard. I was now lying on the cold, hard ground. I felt my way in the darkness to find that it was a suitcase that I had tripped over-- and it was my suitcase too.

Sometimes we fall down and can't get back up

"Are you ok, Peaches?" Riley asked me, stifling a giggle.

"I'm fine, Riles," I answered as I carefully stood back up, "I'm tough."

We're hiding behind skin that's too tough

Riley just laughed at me. "Wow, Maya, and I thought that I was klutzy!"

"That's because you are."

"Well, now we can be klutzes together!"

"Whup-tee-doo!"

Riley and I just laughed.

"Anyways, Maya, are you ready for our big day?" Riley questioned.

It was now around 6:00 in the morning on Sunday, May 8th. Today was our first full day in the UK. We are currently in the city of London. At 12:00, we are going to go skydiving. However, we have to be at the North London Skydiving Centre by 8:00 for four hours of lessons. Again, it is just going to be Riley and I who are doing this. Farkle was the first one to chicken out and after explaining the dangers of skydiving, Lucas and Zay soon chickened out too. Mr. Matthews and Mrs. Matthews are also too afraid to do it and, because he is young, will not allow Auggie to do it, no matter how many times he begs them to let him do it with us.

I laughed nervously. "Of course I am! why wouldn't I be?"

"Uh, because we're jumping out of a plane in like what? About 13,000 feet in the air? That's pretty scary..."

"A-Are you scared?"

"No, why are you?"

I gulped. "No."

"If you're not scared, then neither am I."

I gulped once more. "G-good..."

I took a little nibble of my blueberry breakfast bar before putting it back down on the table. You see, Riley and I knew that we weren't going to have enough time to go downstairs to get breakfast this morning, so we bought a dozen breakfast bars at the gift shop last night. I sighed. I knew I was hungry, but for some reason, I just couldn't eat...