8: Take On the World

Chapter Eight
Maya Hart

"RILEY!!!" I cried as I ran out of Teens Sing and onto the sidewalk.

I heard someone whimpering and sniffling. I turned my head to see Riley sitting down on the edge of the sidewalk with her head in her heads.

"Riley?" I said as I walked up to her and sat down next to her, "What's wrong?"

"Leave me alone, Maya," she mumbled as she turned her head away from me, avoiding me.

I grabbed Riley's face with both hands and turned it so that she was facing me. "Tell me what's wrong, Riley!"

" 'LEAVE ME ALONE,' I SAID!!!" She cried as she grabbed onto my arms and violently pulled my hands off of her face.

I looked Riley in the eyes and she looked back at me. Tears were streaming down her face and it looked as if she was holding back even more. Before I knew it, Riley was pulling me towards her. She threw her head on my shoulder and wrapped her arms around me. She began to violently sob. I wrapped my arms around Riley and put my head on her shoulder.

"Shhhh...," I tried to calm Riley as I stroked her hair, "It's ok."

" 'Does the fact that your life may be cut short bother you?' she asked me."

"Don't listen to Missy. She's a meanie."

" 'Does it bother you that if your cancer gets worse, we will all most likely live longer than you, even though some of us are actually a little bit older than you?' she asked me."

"Well, if there's a good chance that you could survive, then you shouldn't."

"But, there's a good chance that I may not. Maya, most of those people in that club don't have to worry about anything. Did you see how carefree they were? They don't worry about having to die young due to cancer. Some of them might live longer than me even though most of them are older than me."

I grabbed Riley by her shoulders and made it so that she and I were now both facing each other. "Riley, look at me."

Surprisingly, Riley listened to me and looked at me. "L-Looking."

"You were wrong when you said that those people in there have nothing to worry about. Everyone has issues, Riley. But when you go out into public, most people choose to leave their problems at the door. That's why they looks so carefree. They are having such a good time that they forgot that their issues even exist. If not, then they are hiding their true feelings behind a smile and trying to drown all of their worries away by having a good time. That's why I brought you here. I want you to have a good time. This is something that you've been wanting to do, right?"

Riley sniffled. I noticed that she had stopped crying.

"Right," she agreed.

"And most of those people in there probably don't have cancer in there, but some of them might. And, the people who do who are there want to have a good time before their sickness swallows them whole. Also, who says that some of them won't get cancer when they get older? Riley, some of these people may have to go through what you are someday too. You're not alone. You're not the only one who has melanoma."