26: Riley's Song (Something More)

Chapter Twenty-Six
Maya Hart

"Alright, Riley, instead of giving you another lesson, I am going to make you do something special today," I stated.

School had ended about a half hour ago and Riley and I were now sitting in my room. Riley had my guitar on her lap and a guitar pick in her right hand. Yup you guessed it; I was giving Riley another guitar lesson.

"And what are you going to make me do?" Riley asked, cocking her head.

I smiled at Riley. "Today, I am going to let you write your own song."

Riley's face lit up like a light bulb. She flashed a smile at me and her eyes twinkled.

"My plan is really working!" I thought to myself, "We probably won't even make it all the way down Riley's bucket lost before she decides that she is tired of acting depressed in school and finally stands up to Missy!"

"Really?!?!" Riley gasped with excitement in her voice, "You're really letting me write my very own song?!?!"

"Yep, your very own song!" I answered, grinning, "I'm even going to have you have you make up your own guitar chords to go along with it and everything!!!"

Riley gasped again. "That's so cool!"

Riley quickly placed my guitar and her pick down on my bed. She then got up off of my bed, where she had been sitting, and crouched down on the floor beside her backpack. She then unzipped it and dug her hand around in there until she had found what she had been looking for. Out of her backpack, Riley pulled out a pink notebook and a yellow pencil.

"I'm gonna start writing it right now!" Riley announced as she placed the notebook and pencil down on the desk that was in my room.

I quickly hopped out of the chair that I was sitting down on and pushed it over to Riley. She quickly sat down in it and scooted herself over towards the desk just enough so that she could reach her notebook and pencil.

"Wow, you seem really eager to write this song, Riles!" I laughed.

"That's because I know exactly what I want to write about!" Riley responded.

I smirked. "Oh really? And what are you going to write about exactly?"

"Well, if I told you, then it wouldn't be a surprise!"

I smiled. "Oh, you want it to be a surprise!"

Riley nodded. "Yeah, and I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but can you get out of here and go into another room and do something else? I don't want to have to worry about you looking over my shoulder and seeing what I'm writing!"

"Ok, I'll get out of your hair!" I laughed as I picked up my backpack and walked out of my room.

I would have argued with Riley and told her that I wanted to stay and would not look at what she was writing, but she seems really excited to do this and I want her to feel comfortable while she is writing her song. Since I was bored and nothing else to do, I walked into the kitchen and plopped my stuff down on the kitchen table. I sat down, took some books, binders, notebooks, folders, and a pencil out of my backpack and actually started doing my homework for once.