31: The Scavenger Hunt

Chapter Thirty-One
Riley Matthews

    "Hey, peaches," I beamed, greeting my girlfriend as she crawled through the bay window in my room and onto the little bench.

    School had just ended about a half hour ago. In school, Maya told me that she wanted to meet me at the bay window because she had something to tell me.

    "Hey, honey," Maya replied, pecking me on the lips, which caused me to blush. She then proceeding to sit down next to me.

    "So, what was it that you wanted to talk to me about?" I asked, "It's not anything bad, is it?"

    Maya gave me a nervous chuckle. "Oh, no! Of course not!"

    Why was she nervous? Was she lying to me? I don't think that she is lying to me because since she wants to talk to me, she would tell me if it was bad. Plus, Maya hardly ever lies to me. If she ever does, then it's only to protect me. But why did Maya seem so nervous?

    "Uh, Riley, before we have our um... talk, do you mind if I um... use the bathroom?" Maya asked me, biting her lip.

    "Of course, but before you do that, can I ask you if there's anything wrong?" I questioned.

    "There's nothing wrong, Riley! It's just that I really need to use the bathroom..."

    "Oh, ok, because to me, you seem nervous."

    "Well, I'm not. Now, if you excuse me, I need to use the bathroom."

    With that being said, Maya quickly hopped off the bay window bench. As she stood up, I saw something fluttering in the air out of the corner of my eye. I watched an index card fall to my bedroom floor.

    "What's this?" I thought to myself as I bent over and reached for the card, picking it up.

    "Maya, I think you dropped something!" I shouted, looking up from the index card.

    However, Maya had already exited my room. I got no response. There was no way that she could have heard me all the way from the bathroom.

    "I guess I'll just give it back to her when she comes back," I thought to myself.

    I then averted my attention back to the small, white index card that now laid in my hands. I noticed that the side of the flash card that I was looking at was completely blank.

    "I wonder if it has anything written on it."

    I flipped the flash card over on its other side. It was not blank like the side I had been looking at before. This side had a note on it. The note read:

    "To the sweetest girl I know,

    I am so glad that we have known each other long enough to watch each other grow. To have grown up with you is simply a gift. On the darkest days, the lowest spirits, with your kindness, are lift. Look under a bowl. The one in the kitchen where you eat meals that are simply whole."

    I smiled a big goofy grin, knowing who exactly wrote that note and who it was for.

    "Aww, how sweet!" I thought to myself, still grinning.