16: Geralyn (Survivor)

Chapter Sixteen
Maya Hart

"Maya, Riley!!!" Our lunch lady, Geralyn cried as I dragged Riley into the cafeteria's kitchen.

Riley was depressed again today and I was determined to cheer her up. Today, I was going to check number two off of her list: "Learn how to cook".

Geralyn dropped the dish that she was cleaning and ran up to Riley and I to give us a hug. "How ya doin'?!?!"

"Good, and you?" I replied.

"I'm doing great! How are you doing, Riley?"

"I am doing as good as someone with my luck could possibly be doing," Riley sighed.

Geralyn stopped hugging us. "What's wrong, Riley? You seem a bit down today. Is something bothering you?"

"Oh, you haven't heard?"

"Heard about what?"

Riley sighed. "I have cancer. I was diagnosed with melanoma a little less than three months ago."

    Geralyn's eyes widened. "WHAT?!?! OH, THAT'S TERRIBLE!!!"

    "I know."

    "I'm so sorry to hear that, Riley... I really am... How are you feeling?"

    "Fine, I guess. I haven't really gotten any of the symptoms yet."

    "Well, that's good."

    "Yeah, but I still have cancer cells, which really sucks."

    Geralyn put her hand on Riley's shoulder. "I know that it sucks, believe me."

    My eyes widened. "You had cancer before?!?!"

    "No, thank god, but know a lot of people who have had it before."

    "Did they survive?"

    Geralyn sighed. "Some of them did, while others— well, I think you get the picture. Cancer's a box of chocolates; you never know what's gonna happen."

    "Isn't the saying supposed to be 'life's a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get'?" Riley asked.

    "Yeah. I guess was trying to use a real metaphor to make my own metaphor, huh?"

    I laughed, while on the other hand, Riley sighed.

    "But, I don't think that you'll have much worrying to do, Riley. You're strong; I know you are. You can make it through this; I know you can. I believe in you."

    I put my hand on Riley's other shoulder. "I believe in you too."

    Riley just sighed. "I hope that I make it through. Hopefully, I'll get to die of old age and not of cancer at a young age."

    "If you believe in yourself, then you can do it. You just have to be strong and not let anything bring you down like this. If Maya and I believe in you then, hey, so can you!" Geralyn put her arm around Riley's shoulder and laughed, "and, hey, if you do survive your melanoma— which you most likely will because like I said, I believe in you— you will have your own theme song for the rest of your life!"