45: If I Lose Myself

Chapter Forty-Five
Riley Matthews

*Start playing "If I Lose Myself" by OneRepublic. Lyric vid of song is above*

I watched as sunlight slowly began to leak through the curtains that covered up the window, concealing Maya's and my hotel room from the rest of the world. I turned my head back around and began to sit up in the comfortable king bed that my girlfriend and I were currently laying in. I glanced over to the alarm clock which was sitting on the nightstand that was next to the edge of my bed. It was only 6:42 in the morning. I like to get up early in the morning, but considering the fact that I went to bed late last night, this is just way too early for me to be up. But instead of going back to sleep, I turned my head back around to see the large window behind our bed. I poke my head through the curtains to see the gorgeous yellow, orange, pink, and blue sunset.

    I stared up at the sun

    It has been two days since we left Venice, Italy and left for Paris, France. It was now Monday, April 25th. Last night, I could not sleep. I was too excited, thinking about how we were going to see the Eiffel Tower today. Our beautiful hotel was just twenty minutes away from it. We are going to leave at 11:30 since our tour is at 12:00 and we don't want to be late if there is traffic.

    I removed my head from the window and looked at my precious Sleeping Beauty, Maya. I smiled. She looked so cute and peaceful as she slept.

    I stared up just to see
    Of all other faces, you are the one next to me

    She looked absolutely gorgeous— more stunning than the sunrise that's right outside our window. Looking at her, knowing that she's mine and that she will always be there made me feel better. Not only was I excited to see the Eiffel Tower, but nervous. We were going to take an elevator ride up to the top and I'm afraid of heights. Now, I know that sounds silly coming from me, the girl who went to Europa Park, one of the largest theme parks in Europe, but rollercoasters are different. I'm scared more about how rollercoasters will make me feel than the height of them. If I am strapped into a harness, then I know that I will not fall and plunge a 100,000 feet downward.

    I finally laid back down and close my eyes, trying to fall asleep. Unfortunately, there was not enough darkness to make me feel sleepy.

    You can feel the light start to tremble

    I sat straight up again and looked over at Maya.

    "Peaches?" I whispered as I carefully poked her arm.

    "Mmm?" She mumbled, half-asleep-half-awake.

    "I can't sleep."

    Maya did a huge stretch as she let out a huge yawn. She rolled over on her side so that she was facing me. She urged her eyes. However, when she finally opened them, I noticed that she was not looking at me; she was looking at the alarm clock.

    "Riley, it's 6:49 in the morning!" Maya scolded, "Why are you telling me this just now?"

    "B-because I didn't w-wanna bother y-you..."

    Maya's eyes suddenly softened as she put her hand underneath my chin. "Oh, Riles, you could never bother me. Now tell me: why can't you sleep?"