18: Telling Cory and Topanga

Chapter Seventeen
Maya Hart

        "So, Maya, tell us: what is going on with our daughter?" Mr. Matthews asked.

    It was now 6:00 P.M. and I was now sitting down at the Matthews' kitchen table with Mr. and Mrs. Matthews sitting across from me. It was just me and them. No one else. Riley was in her room doing homework. Auggie was probably in his playing with Mr. Googly. Topanga must have not forgotten that I would tell her what was up with Riley later on because as soon as I got home from making pizzas, she and Mr. Matthews called me up and invited me over, saying that they needed to talk with me. I wonder if Riley and Auggie even know that I'm here?

    "Why is Riley suddenly depressed again?" Mrs. Matthews questioned, "Was she just pretending?"

    I gulped. "Look, Mr. and Mrs. Matthews, I really don't know if I should be giving away this type of information. I know that you two are her and parents and have every right to know what is going on in your daughter's life, but I don't know if she would be comfortable with you knowing about it. I think that Riley wants to deal with this one on her own."

    "Then why do you know about it and we don't?" Mr. Matthews asked, "You said it yourself— we're her parents!"

    "Because it's something that I just happened to walk into. She didn't tell me; I found out on my own."

    "Does it have to do something with her melanoma?"

    "Yes, but not entirely."

    "What do you mean by that?"

    "I mean that's not all that is causing her to be depressed."

    "Wait, how did you find out?" Mrs. Matthews asked.

    I paused for a moment, trying to think of what to say. "I, um... saw something..."

    "What did you see?"

    I gulped. "If I told you, then I would be giving some of it away. Look, Riley told me not to tell anyone. I already told Lucas, Farkle, and Zay, which is already breaking that promise."

    "How could you tell your friends about it, but not us?" Mr. Matthews asked.

    "Because I was so fed up with riley becoming depressed again and acting the way she did towards me when they asked me that as soon as they pulled me over and asked me, I told them. But don't worry; Riley knows that I told them and is completely fine with it. I just don't know how she would feel if I told you guys."

    "Why would she be fine with you telling Lucas, Farkle, and Zay, but not her own parents?!?!" Mrs. Matthews asked, starting to get angry.

    "Because, as your parents, you care for and love Riley more than they do. Once I tell you, you are going to want to get involved and stop it. Riley is a big girl; by the way she is acting, I can tell that she doesn't want to drag anyone else into this and to figure it out on her own."

    "Maya, I can see that, but please, we love Riley so much and have been worried sick about her," Mr. Matthews began, "Having melanoma on top of being depressed— it's just too much for handle. Please tell us what is going on with our baby girl."