23: Morning Argument

Chapter Twenty-Three
Maya Hart

"Good morning, Maya," I heard a familiar voice greet me as I walked into the kitchen.

It was now the morning of the next day, January 5th, and I had just woken up. I had walked into the kitchen to get myself breakfast. I turned my head to see my mom sitting down at the kitchen table, eating some cereal. This was unusual for me since she's usually never there when I wake up. She's usually at work already.

    "Good morning," I replied, startled, "Mom, why are you still here? Why aren't you at work?"

    "Topanga gave me the day off since she said that I have been working so hard lately and deserve a break," mom explained.

    "Oh, that's nice!"

    That's when I noticed that my mom had not only made breakfast for herself, but had also put out a bowl of cereal and orange juice for me. There was a carton of milk right next to the bowl.

    "Mom, you put out breakfast for me?" I asked as I started to walk over towards the table, "Thank you so much!"

    "Aw, you don't have to thank me, baby girl!" Mom replied, "It's the least I can do for you since I'm rarely here in the morning."

    "I wish that we could have more mornings together," I sighed as I poured the milk into the cereal bowl, "It would really be nice."

    Mom sighed. "Me too, baby girl. I would love for that too. Unfortunately, we are financially struggling and I have to work all of the time."

    I sighed. "I know."

    "I really wish that it didn't have to be this way."

    "Me neither, Mom," I agreed as I sat down in the chair next to her.

    I picked up the spoon and began to eat the cereal that my Mom had put out for me, which ended up being Cheerios, my favorite cereal.

    "So, I have a question," Mom said all of the sudden.

    "Mmmhhmmm," I replied through a mouth-full of Cheerios.

    "Why were you and Riley singing that Taylor Swift song together last night?"

    I dropped my spoon. It hit the bowl with a loud, "CLANG!!!" I tried not to look at Mom to hide the fact that I was now blushing. She heard us! I know last night meant nothing, but while Riley was staring into my eyes while we were singing, it gave me this weird feeling. But, it was a happy feelings. When she said that my singing was heavenly, I felt butterflies.

    "You heard us?!?!" I nearly shouted.

    "Yeah, Topanga let me go home early yesterday, and when I came home, you and Riley were singing some Taylor Swift love song," Mom told me.

    "How come you didn't stop in and say, 'hi'?"

    "Because I didn't want to interrupt. I said, 'hi' to Riley as she walked out. I didn't come in your room to greet you until she left."

    "Oh, I thought that you had just gotten home then."

"No, I was home for a little while."