17: Making Pizza

Chapter Seventeen
Riley Matthews

"Riley, Maya!" Geralyn exclaimed, "I'm so glad that my two little dollies could make it!"

It was now 2:35 in the afternoon and school had just ended five minutes ago. Maya and I were now back in the kitchen in the cafeteria with Geralyn, ready for her to teach us how to make pizza. Of course, we told my dad where we were going before we left his classroom at the end of the day. My dad is also our homeroom teacher, so we also have homeroom and study hall, as well as History, with him. Since study hall is always at the end of the day, my dad's classroom was the last one that Maya and I were in before we left.

Geralyn then ran up to me and Maya and gave us each a bear hug.

"We're glad that we could make it too," Maya stated as soon as Geralyn was done hugging us, "We're so excited for you to teach us how to make pizza!" Maya nudged me with her elbow. "Isn't that right, Riley?"

"Yeah, yeah, whatever...," I replied, trying to hide my excitement and hold up my reputation.

Deep down inside, I really wanted to show Geralyn that I was just as excited as Maya is. I have always wanted to learn how to cook, even if it means learning how to cook one dish. I mean, every journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, am I right?

Geralyn frowned. "Why so sad, Riley?"

"I think you know why...," I mumbled.

"Hey, I know that you're upset about your cancer, but never look at it as if it can't get better, because it can. You said that you're not feeling any symptoms, which is good."

"Yeah, I guess..."

"Anyways, let's get a-cooking!"

Geralyn then led Maya and I over to this silver table that had a bunch of cooking supplies and ingredients laid out across it. The table had a huge, thin piece of paper over top of it. I guess it was too keep everything cleaner. She then distributed hair nets and plastic gloves out to us.

"Alright, so are you ladies ready to learn how to make pizza?" Geralyn asked as soon as we were done putting our hair nets and gloves on.

Maya and I both nodded.

"Before we get started, what we're gonna want to do is preheat the oven," Geralyn announced as she walked towards the oven, which was right behind the table.

She then set it to it's preheat settings and walked back to the table.

"Alright, so first, you're going to get a piece of dough and place it onto a tray, then roll the dough out with a rolling pin until it's nice and flat," Geralyn began as she grabbed some dough, a tray, and a rolling pin and began to demonstrate.

Geralyn then handed me and Maya a nice chunk of dough, a huge tray, and two rolling pins. "Why don't you dollies give it a go?"

"Ok," Maya and I agreed as we each picked up a rolling pin.

With that being said, Maya and I placed the dough down on the tray and rolled it out together.