Chapter 2

My eyes are green. That’s what it says on my birth certificate, and it’s what I say if anyone asks. They’re not really- they were when I was born, a vivid emerald, but as I grew older their colour changed. Now, they’re some sort of blueish greenish grey colour. I used to like it. Now I miss the green.

My mother’s eyes were green. I remember being five years old and being wrapped up in her arms. She told me stories about servant girls and princesses, but while I listened I thought about her eyes. They looked like oak leaves, or forests, or lush green meadows.

But there are such thing as natural disasters.

When I got back to the foster home, there was a visitor waiting for me in the kitchen. Cassia was my social worker... or something. I know a lot less about my situation than I should. It’s my fault, my mind wanders.

“Finley,” Cassia smiled at me, gesturing to the chair across from her. I kind of wanted to go upstairs and think a little, but I didn’t really have a choice.

“So Aisling tells me you’re putting your name forward for the adoption!”

I frowned. “No, I said-”

“Well, I think you should,” Cassia interrupted, waving her hand dismissively. “I have some information here about-”

“No!” I said, struggling to not raise my voice. “No, I don’t want to. I’ll just...stay here.”

Cassia frowned. “Now, Finley-”

“I don’t want to.”

“Finley,” She snapped, “It would really benefit you to-”

“I don’t want to.”

“Give this a chance-”

“No!”

“Finley!”

“You can’t force me to do something I don’t want to do!”

Cassia inhaled deeply, while I took a moment to wonder how we both came to be standing up.

“Finley,” She said slowly, “No one’s forcing you to do something you don’t want to do.” Clearly. “All we’re asking is that you put your name forward to be considered for adoption. You don’t understand how much of an opportunity this is for you.”

“Yes I do,” I insisted, “And I’d like to stay.” Well, not really. I just don’t want to leave.

Cassia sighed in frustration. “I have information about the adoption here,” She said stiffly. “Read it tonight. I’ll call you in the morning.”

I said nothing. She nodded to The Carer, packed up her bags, and left.

She’d left a folder on the kitchen table. I picked it up hesitantly, and went upstairs.

I guess since I was sixteen it was high time for my rebellious streak time come out, especially considering my ‘troubled past’. So it wasn’t that I didn’t want to be adopted. I just didn’t want them telling me that I wanted to be adopted.

In the comfort of my bedroom, I began to leaf through the pages. There wasn’t anything interesting, not really. It told me what I already new; the perks of belonging to a family. Well, I already had Jacob. What more did I need?

Someone who cared about me enough to not get mixed up in a load of druggies and - I cut myself off. That wasn’t fair.