Chapter 7

“No!”

An arm curled around my waist, dragging me back down to the pavement.

“Let me go!” I shrieked, struggling against it.

“No” The stranger hissed, “Don’t you dare, don’t you dare!”

They shook me a little, before hugging me tight to their chest.

“Don’t you dare” They whispered into my hair.

I pulled away from them, before recognising who it was.

“What are you doing here?” I asked shakily.

Alex shook the question off like it was a cobweb that got caught in his hair. “Don’t you ever try to do that again” He told me sternly, his hand holding onto my wrist almost painfully.  “Ever.”

“Let me go” I repeated, trying to wriggle out of his grasp. He held me tighter, before realising that he was hurting me. He let go off my wrist, and chose to wrap an arm around my shoulders instead.

“You’re freezing” He muttered, “And soaked. For God’s sake, Finley, what the hell were you thinking?”

I sensed it was a rhetorical question, so I kept my mouth shut. I wouldn’t have known how to answer it anyway.

Alex pulled off his jacket and draped it over me, rubbing his hand up and down my arm to create friction.

“I’m gonna take you back to the hotel, okay?” He said, holding his free hand out to hail a taxi. “You can take a shower, get warmed up...” His voice got quieter, and he continued to mumble things. I couldn’t hear. But I wasn’t really trying.

The journey to the hotel was a blur, as was the journey to his room. I’m pretty sure that Alex ended up carrying me, because I can’t remember walking any of it. All I remember was Alex tossing me a bundle of clothes and bringing me to the bathroom, telling me to take a shower and call him if I needed anything.

I don’t know how long I spent just sitting on the edge of the bathtub, trying to make sense of what had happened. I didn’t help that my mind was tired and feeble after tonight’s escapades. I stood up, clutching onto the side of the bath for support, and stripped down. Climbing into the shower, I switched it on, and couldn’t help let out a sigh of relief when the warm water came splashing down on top of me. I washed myself, shampooing my hair and rinsing it again, before deciding that it was time to come to terms with the inevitable shitstorm Alex would throw at me.

I dried myself with the towel that hung off the railing, and rubbed my hair with it as best I could. It was still damp, but I didn’t want to ask Alex for a hair dryer. When I seemed reasonably dry, I turned to the clothes he’d given me. His clothes, it seemed. A baggy t-shirt and a pair of boxers.

Apparently, I was taking my time.

“Finley?” Alex said, worriedly, “Are you okay?” He knocked on the door.

I opened my mouth to reply with the automatic response, yes, I’m fine, before remembering that he’d found me trying to jump off a bridge. So I kept my mouth shut, and opened the bathroom door.

Alex said nothing, just looked at me. He smiled weakly, before gesturing me to go sit on the bed. He switched on the TV; The Land Before Time was playing. I loved this film, but my eyes followed Alex as he pulled out his phone and began dialling.