Chapter 3

“What?!” I spluttered. “But- but I didn’t put my name forward - how could he -”

“Sit down, Finley,” Cassia said patiently. “I realise that you didn’t put your name forward, but Aisling and I assumed you would have, so we did it for you. Things do have deadlines, you know.”

“But I don’t want-”

“Finley, until you are eighteen, I am making your decisions. And you don’t have to live with him. But I do want you to meet him.”

I took a second to clear my head and sort out my thoughts. “Do I have a choice?” I asked after a moment.

“Not about meeting him. But he won’t adopt you if you still don’t want him to.”

I sighed. “Who is this guy?” I asked, leaning my head on my hand.

“You didn’t read the file?” Cassia asked with her eyebrows raised.

I shrugged. She tutted, but smiled.

“His name is Alex Gaskarth. He’s twenty-five, lives in Baltimore.”

“Single?”

“Yes. Not that you’d be making a move on him.”

I chuckled. “No, I was just wondering. So, does he live alone then?”

Cassia nodded. “He used to have a roommate but he moved out a few months ago.” She looked at me. “There’s more in the file - read it tonight. I’ll be calling about the details later, but Alex is flying in tomorrow night. You’ll meet him on Wednesday.”

“Okay” I muttered, still trying to make sense of this. “Well, is that all?”

“Basically,” Cassia shrugged, “I mean originally there were some more things that I wanted to run through but now I think I’ll explain everything if you decide you want to be adopted. Just worry about meeting him for now.”

“Have you met him?”

“I talked over the phone with him.” She didn’t expand. I didn’t ask.

Cassia dropped me to the home, where The Carer said nothing but to go upstairs and do my homework. Instead, I picked up the folder I’d abandoned last night and sat down Indian style on my bed, opening it in my lap.

I flicked through the pages I’d seen last night, before coming to something different. Addressed to me.

Well, kind of.

I wasn’t sure who to address this letter to, so I decided to just leave that part out. I know you’re still in school; don’t do that in your English exam.

Well, my name’s Alexander William Gaskarth, but in case you hadn’t noticed my full name is a bit of a mouthful so most people (i.e. everyone) calls me Alex.

I’m twenty-five, and I live in Baltimore which is kind of an exaggeration because I’m barely ever home so really I stay in Baltimore for about three months every year.

Usually, I’d live with one of my best friends, Rian. Unfortunately for me, he moved away recently to live closer to his girlfriend in LA. (I don’t mind much, I totally ship them.)

So that leaves me kind of lonely. Because, I like quiet time and all- but I’m a people person and I like to have some company. So my best friend (more like brother) gave me this totally wack idea of adopting someone.