Chapter 10

I saw Alex a lot that week. His black Range Rover could usually be seen waiting at my school gates like Lassie. He’d pick me up and we would go into town and get lunch, or sometimes go back to his hotel room where we’d chatter nonstop. He introduced me to his music- original and favourites of other people. I loved to listen to him play guitar. When he sang he reminded me of the night I tried to jump off a bridge, and how much it calmed me. It still calmed me more effectively than a sedative ever could.

Although we talked a lot and got closer, we still left the topic off my attempted suicide untouched. It worried me slightly; maybe he’d forgotten, or decided he didn’t care, or realised that I wasn’t worth his time and was just humouring me.

He was leaving for LA early Saturday morning, to do writing and recording in the studio. Apparently the rest of the band were already there waiting for him there.

“I’ll miss you,” I admitted.

Alex looked at me, hiding a smile. “Really?”

“Really,” I nodded with a laugh.

“That’s great,” He said, “Because I... Well, I was wondering if you’d like to come up and visit us next weekend.”

“What?” I perked up, “Really?”

“If you’d like to,” He said nervously, “I’ve been talking to the guys about it, and they’re cool with it. We’re renting out this really nice house, right beside the beach? There’s a bedroom for you and everything. I talked to Aisling, and she thinks it’s fine. But  it’s only if you want to, of course.”

“I’d love to?”

“You sure?”

“Yes!”

Alex dropped me back to the foster home late that night.

“I won’t see you tomorrow,” He said, as he pulled up outside the house. “But I’ll call you, I promise.”

“I don’t have a phone,” I reminded him.

He frowned. “Right... That’s right, you don’t.”

“But, I mean, you can call the landline?” I suggested, “And we can email or something?”

Alex chuckled. “Don’t worry your little head about it, Finley. I’ll call you,” He promised.

“Okay,” I muttered.

He walked into the house with me, and was immediately ushered into the kitchen by The Carer.

“Come have a cup of tea,” She said, “Or would you like some coffee?”

“Yeah, that’d be great,” He replied with a smile, “But actually- would you mind if I used your bathroom?”

“Not at all, darling,” She exclaimed, “Upstairs, first door on your left.”

“Thanks.”

“And you?” The Carer looked at me, “Do you want anything?”

“No, I’m fine.”

“So,” She said, as she filled up the kettle. “I hear you’re going to LA on Friday. You excited?”

“I can’t wait,” I admitted with a smile.

So Alex left. And it was okay. Because I knew that he’d be back. I knew that I could trust him to come back.