Chapter 34

(A/N - Some peopl have said that they can't view Chapter 33, so there's an external link to it on the side!)

The first thing that I heard when I woke up was Alex’s breathing.

It was soft and gentle, and at first I didn’t realise what it was. It was the sea at first, the water in LA, waves breaking on the shore. But then, slowly that image faded in my mind.

My eyes were closed. They were too stiff to open, my eyelids to heavy. I thought about the sandman, who goes from house to house while children are sleeping, and put sand in their eyes. It seemed he’d gone a little overboard with me.

But I could hear Alex. I focused on that, the soothing sound of the air filling his lungs. It sounded close, like his head was lying on the pillow next to me.

What had happened?

I tried to remember, but everything seemed fuzzy. The only thing that seemed clear was Alex, sitting on the beach, singing to me. But that couldn’t be real. I wasn’t dead.

Why would I be dead? It hurt my head to think, to try and dust off my memories so that I could read them. Alex’s face flashed in my memory, sudden and harsh.

“Maybe you should have thought of that before you fucked everything up!” He spat at me.

Alex’s words made everything fall into place. Suddenly. Too suddenly.

I remembered Jacob, my dead brother, who seemed to be haunting me from the grave with his past friends and past words. Phrases from his letter grabbed at my consciousness, fighting eagerly for my attention. I tried to ignore them

I remembered Simon. His voice, his face, his words. I remembered how he looked guilty, regretful... as he plunged a knife into my abdomen.

The second thing that I heard when I woke up was beeping. Irritating and high-pitched, too harsh for my tender ears.

A door swung open, angry, hurried footsteps following it.

“Wh-what’s going on?” A mumbly, sleepy, voice. Familiar. Alex.

“If you could please stand away, Sir.” An unfamiliar voice.

“What’s happening -” Alex again, “Why is that beeping, is she -”

“Please, Sir, move away -”

“Just tell me-” Alex pleaded desperately, “Please, is she okay? She’s not - she’s not -”

“She’s going to be okay,” A different voice again, “The beeping means that her heartbeat is speeding up.”

“Is that...” Alex hesitated, “Please, is that okay...?”

“It’s fine. It’s good. It means that she’s waking up.”

I felt people hovering over me. I heard them talking - low voices that seemed rehearsed, like they were actors in a play. They muttered things about blood pressure and stained bandages, but mostly everything was too quiet for me to pick up. I couldn’t focus on it.

I began to feel things again. Slowly. But I felt soft linen sheets beneath the pads of my fingers, a light pressure on my hand. I felt the ceiling fan gently blow cool air over my body.

“Finley?”

A clear voice. I didn’t know who was speaking, but I recognised my name.

“Finley, if you can hear me, I want you to squeeze my hand.”