Chapter 21

I was officially lost.

“Fuck,” I cursed, “Where the hell am I?”

I’d followed the directions Alex had given me exactly. It wasn’t like they were hard; walk out of the shop, go left until the first set of lights, cross the road, take the second right, and it’s the first restaurant there.

“It’s really tall, you can’t miss it,” He’d said, “I actually thought that the height would be cool because you could take some photos of the city with your new camera. They have an open roof thing, and you can see everything from it.”

Well, sorry Alex, but I didn’t look like I’d be able to do that. Instead, I was aimlessly wandering around Baltimore.

“Isn’t this where The Wire is set?” I said to myself, “You know, that show about all the druggies and criminals? You couldn’t have picked a better place to get lost, you idiot.”

I could get mugged. Or worse. Pictures of an addict running towards me with a needle filled my mind. Or some homeless man, stabbing me with any sharp metal he could find. Oh, crap.

I could ask someone. People in Baltimore are nice, aren’t they? Are they? No, they’re not, they’re really rude. Wait, that’s New York. Oh, who knows. Maybe I shouldn’t, just in case. But what if I get murdered.

I’d never believed in God, but I thanked him so hard you’d think I was the pope when my phone started ringing.

“Where are you?” Alex’s voice crackled into my ear. “Have you left the shop yet?”

“Yeah, I left about twenty minutes ago. Alex, I don’t know where I am.”

“You what?”

“I’m sorry,” I said, “I’m sure I went where you said, but... Well, I’m not at the restaurant, that’s for sure.”

Alex sighed. “Crap. I'm so sorry, Fin, this is all my fault."

"No it's-"

"Yes it-"

"No, Alex, it's -"

"Yeah, it is -" Alex was cut off suddenly, and I was brought back to the morning when he left for LA and I found my phone under my bed.

"Hey Finley!" Jack said happily into the speaker. "Guess what, I'm in Baltimore!”

“So I heard,” I told him, “Nice talking to you Jack, but can you put Alex back on? It’s kind of important.”

“No, Alex is useless. Anyway, so you’re lost?”

“Yep!” I grimaced into the phone. “Aren’t you so proud?”

“The proudest,” Jack said, “Okay, so where are you?”

“Jacky, if I knew that I wouldn’t be lost.”

“Right,” There was a pause, “Well, do you see any street signs around you? What are the shop names?”

I was pretty much as Clueless as the 1995 movie, but Jack managed to drag some place names out of me.

“Okay...” Jack said slowly, “I think I have an idea of where you are... Piss of Alex, I’m talking to her.”

I laughed. “Put Alex on.”

“No, I want to talk to you!” He whined.

“Please, Jacky? You can talk to me in real life as soon as I see you, okay?”

“Ugh, fine.” There was so mumbling. “Hey, Finley?”

“I’m here...” I glanced around, “Or, I’m... somewhere.”