Chapter 12

My mind wandered as I followed Alex upstairs. He’d told me about his band members, and obviously I’d looked them up online, but I was still slightly terrified of them. What if they hated me? Or what if they just didn’t find me interesting? I could imagine them saying to Alex after I’d gone to sleep, Go back to the foster home, pick someone with a bit of spunk. She’s boring.

I hadn’t been this worried when I’d met Alex for the first time, but the when I met Alex he was just a thorn in my backside. I didn’t want him to adopt me. It was weird to think about how everything had changed in the course of a few weeks.

“Alex!”

We’d arrived at the balcony. The scene was pretty beautiful; lightened only by the lights through the windows, the glow of the barbeque and the moon’s reflection on the sea. A man and woman- I faintly recognised them both- were standing at the railing, but now turning to greet us.

“Hey Cass;” Alex said, hugging her. “I didn’t know you were going to be here.”

She shrugged, tossing her long brown hair over her shoulder. “I’m just dropping in. I have a break from touring, and Rian invited me here for the weekend.” She looked over at me. “Besides that, I thought Finley might want another girl hanging around. Otherwise, it just be her and five guys, and that’s a lot of testosterone!” She smiled kindly. “Alex neglected to introduce us, but I’m Cassadee, Rian’s girlfriend.”

“It’s nice to meet you,” I said nervously.

“You too,” Cassadee said,” Come, sit down.”

I followed her to the deck chairs that surrounded the barbeque. Alex was already sitting down, talking to the other man, whom I presumed was Cass’ boyfriend.

“Oh, Fin," Alex said, "This is Rian."

Rian turned to me and smiled. He had a brilliant smile. "Hi," He said, " I'be heard tons about you, it's nice to put a face to the name."

"Alex has told me stuff about you too," I said, "Apparently, you have your teeth bleached twice a month."

Rian laughed. "What can I say? Sign me up for My Strange Addiction."

"Alex makes it his business to be in everyone's mouth a lot," Jack said, appearing at the door.

Alex groaned. "Couldn't even make it five minutes without a dick joke."

"Come on. You hardly expected me to let that one go!"

"I was actually under the impression that, due to the presence of innocent ears, we would be having an innuendo free weekend."

Jack looked appalled. "Wait... You mean, you were serious?"

"Since it's going to take several decades before Jack can grasp the concept of being serious, we may as well introduce ourselves."

I glanced up. Two men emerged from behind Jack; one buff with tattoos and no shirt, they other a little skinnier, but still muscular, with a black t-shirt and a lipring.

“I’m Matt,” The second man said, “And this is Zack.”

Zack smiled briefly, before wandering over to the barbeque. “Are these done?”

“Not yet!” Rian said, waving Zack away.

“They look burnt to me,” Alex said, scrunching up his nose at them.