Chapter 9

I barely slept at all last night. It didn’t feel as good as I had expected it to to be back in my own bed, and I found myself wondering what it would be like to live with Alex. And I thought about how long it would take before I could. Surely, the papers wouldn’t take that long to process.

I couldn’t remember ever wanting to get up early, but today I was eager for the sun’s light to spread across my bedroom. As soon as it did, I was out of bed.

Once I was dressed and ready, I went downstairs. The Carer was in the kitchen, and when she heard me she turned and stared in surprise.

“You’re up early” She said slowly, “You know it’s a Saturday, right?”

I shrugged. “Yeah, I didn’t sleep much.”

She raised her eyebrows. “Well... alright. Do you want any breakfast?”

I shook my head. “No, I’m okay thanks.”

The Carer nodded, and turned back to her porridge. “Alex called” She said casually.

I perked up. “What? When? Why?”

She chuckled. “About an hour ago. He wanted to ask if it was okay to take you out. And I said it was. He’s coming over at eleven to collect you.”

“Where are we going?” I asked, trying to hide my eagerness. Judging by The Carer’s amused expression, it didn’t really work.

“He didn’t say” She replied, “But I think he’s bringing you to get some lunch.”

“Okay” I said, but my mind was already far away.

I did end up picking at some food, but I was eager to get away before the others came down. No doubt, they would have been told about my... attempted suicide. I winced as I thought back to it. It seemed so long ago, even though two days hadn’t passed yet. I remembered why I’d stood on the bridge, teetering on the tips of my toes. And, just for a second, I wished I’d jumped.

A knock on my door made me snap out of it. I shuddered of the thought, reminded myself of Alex, and called out; “Come in!”

Broderick walked in awkwardly. “Hey, Finley,” He said softly. “I heard about Thursday... I just came to say-” He hesitated. “I just wanted to know if you were okay, that’s all.”

“Yeah, I’m good” I replied hastily.

He bit his lip. “Just... You know you can come talk to me whenever, right? Always here, willing to listen.”

I smiled awkwardly, “Thanks, Broderick.”

He paused, then nodded. And left.

I hoped he would be the last to come and visit me. I didn’t need Tara or Jamia coming up to share their empathy.

Alex arrived on the dot at eleven o clock. I came downstairs as soon as I heard the knowck on the door, wanting to be the one to answer it.

“Hey,” I said breathlessly.

He wore American flag jeans, and a plain white t-shirt. He smiled when he saw me.

“Morning,” He said, his sleepy eyes covered by dark sunglasses. “Are you ready to go?”

I opened my mouth to respond, but The Carer cut me off as she exited the kitchen.

“Alex!” She cried, “So good to see you. Do you want to come in?”

He hesitated. “Well...”