Chapter 6

A/N- So this was originally two chapters, but after some editing I decided it would work best as one. Apologies in advance, because I've never written a scene like this before and I'm not sure whether I did a good job :/ Anyways, enjoy!

It was weird, knowing that I’d had a ticket out of here and turned it down. I was treated differently, by others and myself. I found it hard to meet my eyes in the mirror; I knew that it was the wrong decision. I should have gone with Alex; saying no was stupid and selfish. But necessary. I’d convinced myself that much, it had been necessary.

I couldn’t convince anyone else though. No one else understood the reasoning behind my decision, and they didn’t try to. As far as they could see I was just being a selfish brat.

Cassia called me a few hours after the car ride with Alex.

“What in God’s name was that?” She hissed through the speaker. “Finley, we agreed-”

“That I would meet him, and that would be it!” I interrupted.

“We were supposed to discuss this, Finley!”

“What’s there to discuss? It’s done now!”

“I know! It’s done, he’s done, you’re done! You don’t have any more chances to get out, Finley!”

“Good! I don’t want any!”

Cassia breathed in deeply. “We’ll talk about this in more depth tomorrow.” And without saying goodbye, she slammed down the phone.

By then, it seemed everyone had heard.

“Why did you tell Alex no?”

“Well, that was an idiotic thing to do.”

“Seriously, Fin, is your head screwed on at all?”

“What even are you? Honestly, you’re such a dumbass.”

Their questions and accusations whirled around my head long after they’d said them, mostly because I agreed.

As unspoken punishment, The Carer had assigned me to do most of the household chores. I did them without complaint, I felt like I didn’t have a right. I deserved to be punished for my selfishness.

At school, it was much the same. I wasn’t the invisible girl anymore- Tara was a gossip, and now it seemed everyone knew me. Without knowing me. Whispers and sideways glances followed me in the halls, wherever I went. Even the library wasn’t a sanctuary for me anymore, the other people who used to not notice me watched me now.

“...And it was Alex Gaskarth.”

“Seriously? From All Time Low?”

“...Probably retarded or something.”

“...Have to be, he’s such a ride!”

And they erupted into fits of giggles.

My mind wandered more. I’d never been good at paying attention, but now it seemed daydreaming was my only escape. More often than not, Alex would worm himself into my thoughts.