Chapter 4

Tuesday night, Cassia called The Carer and told her to not bring me to school. So when Wednesday morning rolled around I allowed myself a lie-on in bed. At about ten o'clock, I got up and took a shower, then dried and straightened my hair.

Cassia collected me at about noon, and drove me to her office.

“I take it you read the file?” She asked.

I smiled, and nodded. “I flicked through it.”

“And?”

“And what?”

“And what did you think of him?” She said with a raised eyebrow.

I hesitated. “He seems...okay.” He seemed wonderful. But I didn’t tell her that.

“Only okay?” Cassia pursed her lips. “Well, I thought he was nice.”

“He is, I guess,” I mumbled, “What time is he coming?”

“Oh, he should be here in five minutes or so,” She replied. And so we waited.

The knock on the door came sooner than I wanted it too.

“Cassia? Another employee called, “You have a visitor.”

Cassia bounded up and opened the door. “You must be Alex,” She beamed.

I wanted to see him, but I didn’t turn around.

“That I be.”

“Sit down,” Cassia invited, “Well, I’m Cassia, and as you’ve probably guessed; this is Finley.”

The chair squeaked as he sat down. I could feel his gaze on me. I fiddled with the sleeve of my jumper, before manning up and looking at him.

He was looking at with a strange expression, his head cocked to one side as he studied me. He had brown hair- darker than mine, much darker. His eyes were brown, deep and chocolatey and curious. He wore skinny jeans, boots, an expensive looking shirt with a complicated design on it and a dark hoodie. I could smell subtle deodorant wafting from him.

“Hey,” Alex said, smiling at me gently. I said nothing, too afraid that if I was to speak I would throw up.

Cassia glanced between us, before talking again. “So, Alex, I understand you’re interested in adopting Finley here” She said.

“Um- Yeah, I’d like to,” He said awkwardly.

“Isn’t that nice, Finley?” Cassia asked condescendingly.

“I was wondering if I could take Finley out?” Alex jumped in, seeing how obviously uncomfortable I was. “For some lunch or something.”

“I’m sorry, but that’s not really allowed. It’s policy that first meeting must be held in the office with supervision.”

Alex sighed. “Alright.”

“So,” Cassia said, “Alex, why don’t you tell Finley some things about yourself.”

“Okay,” Alex said, and paused for a second. “Well, my names Alex Gaskarth, I’m twenty five. I’m from England originally; I moved to Maryland when I was seven. I’m in a band- we tour a lot but I don’t think that’s much of a problem. I mean, we have girlfriends tour with us now and then.”