Chapter 13

"You look beautiful."

"Really?" I asked, looking up at her. Mom smiled down at me.

"Gorgeous," She said, putting her hands on my shoulders, "You'll make an amazing bride someday."

I stood in front of my mother's mirror, not quite recognising the girl staring out. My hair, which I usually tied up, was loose around my shoulders, and Mom had let me use some of her mascara so that my green eyes were outlined with black lashes. I wore a fancy dress- we were going to a party- made of white lace. I looked like a seven-year-old bride.

"Hold on," Mom said, and she rushed into her bedroom. My eyes chased after her.

When she returned, she had a scarf in her hands. "Here," She said as she clipped it into my hair, "It's a veil."

I grinned.

"Jacob, Jacob, come look at me!" I cried. I spun around, the dress fanning out around me.

All of a sudden, dark clouds appeared in my vision. "No!" I screeched, waving them away. They festered around me like a giant swarm of bees, blinding and choking me. It stung my eyes, and tears began to drip from them, dampening my cheeks.

And now I could see again, but I was in a graveyard now. My little white dress and changed to a modest black one, damp from the rain. A soft breeze lifted the hem of it up softly.The cold cotton hit my knees, increasing their unbalance.

"As we lay to rest this man, we remember his life," The vicar said, standing beside the coffin. "We pray for his two children, Jacob and Finley. We pray that he will meet his wife Lily in heaven, where they can live surrounded by love."

I clutched Jacob's hand. His face was stony, brave. He'd hated our father for years now, and had only come to his funeral because I was unable to go alone. But deep down, I was sure he was crying too.

"Loved by many, respected by all," The vicar continued, "We pray for you, Mark Harrison. May you rest in peace."

And then it all shifted again.

"Finley, wake up!" Alex yelled.

I grunted. It was a dream. A weird dream.

He poked me. "C'mon, up."

I scrunched up my eyes. Rolled over. Sat up.

Alex's grinning face was my first sight. He sat on my bed, wearing a blue t-shirt and Baltimore swimming trunks. "Remember how I said we'd go swimming yesterday?"

I stared at him dubiously.

Alex forced me out of bed, although I was still half-asleep. "Put on your swimming things!" He said, "And be downstairs in five minutes. We're going to the beach."

It took a bit longer than five minutes, of course. I threw my on a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt, then tucked my hair into a loose ponytail. I suppose it shouldn't have taken as long as it did, but you can't blame me. Alex woke me up at 8am; I was still half asleep.

The beach was literally on the doorstep. At the end of the garden, there were some stone steps leading down to it, and the sand stretched out for what seemed like forever. I stood in awe, staring at the picturesque scene.

Alex grabbed my hand. "Come on, Fin!" He said, tugging me towards the water.

I had a moment of uncertainty, wondering whether going swimming was such a good idea ( my limbs were still sluggish and it was scarily possible that I would drown) but I didn't get the chance to voice my thoughts before I was engulfed by the cold sea.