Fourteen

MADDIES POV

The months flew by. Before I knew it, invites had been sent (to everyone from one direction to Elton John), Cakes had been sampled, table arrangements decided, bridesmaids picked, bouquets selected and dresses chosen.

In the week leading up to the wedding, I'd started throwing up violently frequently. I'd gotten my period a few weeks ago so I couldn't be pregnant. Could I?

I pushed those worries aside and focused. This wedding was supposed to be the best day of my life. And I was going to make sure it was.

"You look absolutely stunning Maddie!" Taylor squealed as she stood next to me, rocking a light Aqua knee length dress. She helps me to smooth out my long dress. It's simple. I've never been one for over the top wedding dresses. So I went classy and elegant. My own design actually. It has long sleeves and it's fitted to all my curves until the bottom where it flares out into a small puddle of fabric. The white fabric is covered with lace and a white flower crown sits on top of my perfectly curled hair. The makeup is simple. Nothing dramatic. Just natural. And I feel absolutely amazing.

"You ready to go?" Michael asks, appearing at the door. Since I didn't want to be walked down the aisle by my dad, I asked Michael to do it. He started to cry when I asked him.

"Let's go!" I tell him, linking my arm with his before my head suddenly starts to throb. I disconnect our arms and sink to a crouching position, clutching my head in my hands. Just as quickly as it started, the throbbing stops, and I rise to my feet, once again linking arms with Michael.

"Are you alright Mads?" He questions, worry replacing his previously happy expression.

"I'm all good" I reassure him "just nerves." I hope....

"Let's goo!" Taylor squeals, jumping up and down excitedly before she drags both of us out of the room and to the doorway at the start of the church. We hear the slow music start inside and I stand straight, adjusting my curls as Taylor collects the small train at the back of my dress and we begin to walk.

Left foot, right foot. I repeat to myself as I slowly make my way down the aisle.

The throbbing in my head starts again about a quarter of the way down.

I start to feel woozy about halfway, but I continue on. It'll stop eventually. This is my wedding, the most important day of my life. I'll keep my head up and put up with it. Nothing will ruin this for me.

When we hit the three quarter mark, I collapse, clutching my stomach as a searing pain rips through me. I gasp as red blood slowly begins to seep out onto my white wedding dress. I cry out as Michael grabs one of my arms and Ashton grabs the other, pulling me out of the church as I scream in pain, Taylor rushing after with my bouquet and her phone out, ringing the ambulance. The audience break out into whispers and the last thing I see before I pass out is Ed, still standing at the altar, shock and horror written across his face.

MICHAELS POV

"Ambulance!" Taylor screams into the phone "I need an ambulance at Saint Mary's church immediately! My best friend just collapsed walking down the aisle and started bleeding before she passed out! YES THIS IS A BLOODY EMERGENCY."

I look down at Maddie, the bottom of her dress stained red and her eyes closed. No one wants to see their sister like this. No one deserves this.

"What do you mean you can't get an ambulance here!" Taylor yells into her iPhone again "I AM TAYLOR SWIFT! IM STANDING HERE WITH HALF OF 5 SECONDS OF SUMMER AND MADDIE CLIFFORD IS UNCONSCIOUS!"

There's silence after Taylor's outburst as we wait for the operators reply. Taylor hangs her phone up with a huff before reaching over to push a stand of hair off Maddie's sweaty face.

"They'll be two minutes. I think I know what's wrong" she mutters.

"What happened? Will she be okay?" Ashton asks quickly.

"Maddie and Ed had sex a couple of weeks ago right?" I nod, realisation dawning.

Taylor smiles sadly. "I think Maddie might have just miscarried...."

As soon as the words leave Taylor's mouth, the ambulance pulls up and Maddie is pulled inside.

"We need oxygen on her stat!" A paramedic yells as they hover over her lifeless body.

"Can I ride with her? She's my twin sister" I tell the paramedics and he nods, gesturing for me to climb in. I do as I'm told and settle down, holding Maddie's hand in my own. The ambulance doors are shut quickly and I look out the back window. Taylor is standing, still holding Maddie's bouquet with tears running down her face. Ashton is crouched on the ground, holding his head in his hands, shaking. As I watch, Ed comes running out of the church. Taylor turns around to him before starting to yell. As we round the corner, I look over at my baby sister as she continues to bleed. All we can do now is hope.

MADDIES POV

The first thing I notice when I wake up is the light. The lighting isn't warm and soft like at home, it's fluorescent white and shiny. I'm not at home.

The second thing I notice is that the three chairs next to the bed I'm sleeping in are occupied by three sleeping people. Michael, Ashton and Taylor.

The next thing I notice is Ed strolling into the room munching on a sandwich.

"Babe!" His eyes light up when he sees me and he rushes forward to pull me into a hug but I push him off.

"What happened?"

The commotion wakes up the three sleeping people who turn to me with sad smiles.

"What happened?!" I ask again, shaking.

"I'm sorry Maddie" Taylor mumbles, shooting me a weak smile. "You were pregnant. A month and a half along."

"What do you mean I was pregnant?" I question, already knowing the answer, but hoping it wasn't true.

"I'm sorry Maddie" Taylor mumbles "Your body was overworked and you couldn't cope. They would have been a beautiful baby."

"Gone?" I croak, tears flowing down my face.

"Gone" Taylor mumbles, pulling me into a hug.

I sob into her shoulder and just let it soak in. I lost my child.

"Don't worry babe" Ed speaks up. I look over at him. He looks bored and has taken out  his phone. "You were too young to be a parent anyway"

I look at my fiancé with horror written across my face. "Too young?"

"Yeah. You're too young to be a parent. You're only 19 Maddie, I don't know why you didn't remind me to use a condom. I thought you were on the pill. Neither of us need a child, I would have asked you to abort it later. It's bad for both our careers!"

I let out a blood curdling scream as I try and get out of the bed, only to be held back by Taylor and the wires in my arms.

"Are you serious?!" I scream at Ed.

"Babe chill." He chuckles nervously, glancing over to Ashton and Michael who are both shooting him murderous glares. "It's best for both of us"

"You're not the man I fell in love with anymore Ed!" I scream "you've changed. And I hope you know that the Ed I know would be devastated about this. Not worried about his career! You're so selfish and inconsiderate! Either tell me why you've changed or get out. I'm done with you!"

"I've never wanted children Maddie. Never have and never will." Ed informs me "I think this was a mistake. I shouldn't have proposed."

Within seconds Michael and Ashton are on their feet and ready to advance towards Ed.

Tears flow freely down my face once again as I rip off the ring Ed presented me with and throw it at him.

"Get out! I hope I never see you again! Get out!" I collapse onto the bed and continue to sob as Taylor holds me and rubs my back and whispers soothing things in my ears. I can hear Ed backing out of the corridor and Michael yelling "I'm going to kill you!" As he chased Ed with Ashton hot on his heels. All I can concerntrate on now, is the pain in my heart and the space in my chest where my baby had once been.