Chapter Eleven

To my journal,

Feli decided that he would come to America with me. He wanted to see the Statue of Liberty and New York. We are planning on going to the cottage later to discuss plans and packing. I might have him draw a map of Europe and the Atlantic coast of America. I'll have him copy off of a book. We are going to collect any extra cans of food and some more burlap sacks. We are going to have to travel all the way down to Sicily. We might take a month to get there.

-Ludwig Beilschmidt

Feli walked over to their special spot and saw Ludwig sitting outside of the cottage. He had a shoulder bag, full of books, probably. Feli walked over to Ludwig. "I found ten burlap sacks."  Feli said. Ludwig pondered this. "We'll need to pack light. We should use four of them for packing and we will use the rest for making blankets. We should have one extra to fill up with stuff to sell when we get there. We will need money." Ludwig added. "Good thinking." Feli replied. "We should have two bags for food, two bags for clothing and essentials, and one bag of valuables to sell." Ludwig thought about this. "Good idea, we will get two duffle bags for us to carry. Each of us will carry one. If we have any extra room in our bags, we should put blankets and coats in our bags. It's almost December so we will need to dress warm." Ludwig said " I was thinking we could leave in early February, so we could reach south Italy by mid March and maybe raft over to Sicily. We should get there a week before the boat leaves." Feli nodded. "Should I draw a map and find the quickest route? That would be handy." Feli asked. "Sure, here." Ludwig handed Feli one of his geography books. "We will only need Europe and North Atlantic America." Feli nodded, and took his sketchbook and started drawing.

They were there for about two hours before they had decided that they had enough for the day, but they had gotten a lot done.

They had mapped out a route, made packing plans, and made a list of supplies for what they would need to prepare themselves.

"Here, " Ludwig said "you can have this, it's an old notepad. I don't use it anymore."
Ludwig handed Feli the old, battered notepad. "You can make lists and stuff with it, if that's okay with you." Feli smiled and nodded. "that's fine." He said.

After they returned home, they were both satisfied with their work so far, although they had much more work to be done.