Chapter Fifteen

Gilbert was taken away by the police. He couldn't blame them, he did something bad. Really bad.

He had to be executed. He was taken into the middle of a forest and beaten. He grunted as the firing squad kicked him repeatedly. He could feel each bruise and cut. By the end of this he was going to be black and blue.

He should have never gone to that bar. He should have stayed home and ignored Francis' request to drink. He should have never picked a fight. He had so many regrets. What would Ludwig do? He didn't even know what happened. He doesn't even know that Gilbert is going to die.

Gilbert was allowed to say goodbye to his friends during the months leading up to his execution. Gilbert had told one of his closest friends, Matthias, to buy two tickets to America. One for Ludwig, and another for someone that Ludwig cared about.

He wanted his little brother to be able to live in the new world. His brother would have so many more opportunities in America, better jobs, he could flee Europe.

Gilbert felt sad that he couldn't see America with his brother, but at least Ludwig would be able to go to America.

Gilbert got so lost in his thoughts that he didn't notice two guards pull him to his feet.
They dragged him over to a tree and ordered him to stand still. What is this? Gilbert thought, a joke? It's not like I can run.
So he stood by the tree and thought of his brother and how happy he would be to go to America. He closed his eyes and smiled for the last time. As he heard an officer shouting orders to take aim, he could feel a tear glistening down his cheek. The first bullet fired, Gilbert couldn't feel a thing.