Chapter Twenty Two

Feli woke up with a jolt, freezing. He had just nodded off, tired. He didn't mean to go to sleep. He was trembling because it was so cold. He slowly stood up, bracing his hands on the cold metal walls of the train car. And then walked to the door. Feli quietly cracked open the door and peered outside, mountains. They must have entered the mountains, that's why it was so cold.

Feli closed the door, and looked for a candle and matches. He successfully found both, and struck a match and lit the candle. The whole space lit up with a warm glow. Feli looked over to where Ludwig was, worried. Ludwig looked like a corpse. Dark bags formed around the bottom of his eyes, and he was deathly thin and pale.

Feli rummaged through his bag and found two cans, one of carrots and one of apple sauce. He placed them next to Ludwig with a note that read:

You should eat. -Feli

Feli then went back to the corner in which he was sleeping before, and huddled up into a ball. He held the candle in his small hands. He held the candle until the flame died out. He then pulled his legs closer and went to sleep.

***

Ludwig woke up. He sat there, confused at first. He couldn't exactly remember the details of what happened, but he knew that he had gotten hurt and Feli was helping him. He felt his forehead and winced. It hurt badly, but not as bad as other injuries he could have possibly had. There was a faint glow of a candle, he could see Feli in the corner, trying to keep warm. Ludwig felt extremely light headed, he closed his eyes.

***

When Ludwig woke up again, everything was pitch black. There was no comforting glow of a candle or the reassuring images of Feli, there was just nothing. Ludwig had to make sure that he didn't go blind. "Feli," Ludwig said, "are you awake?" No response. "Feli, wake up." Ludwig said again, louder this time. "Feli!" This time, Feli woke up, startled. "Sorry, Ludwig," Feli said, " I was sleeping." Feli yawned. "Can you light a candle?" Ludwig asked.  Feli nodded and pulled a box of matches out of his pocket. He lit the candle and the train car lit up once again. Ludwig noticed that cans and can opener that were placed next to his bed, and quickly ate what was inside the cans without a second thought. Feli was still huddled up in the corner, "you know," Ludwig said, "you could have gotten yourself a blanket." Feli nodded and walked over to retrieve a blanket. Feli then quickly fell back asleep.

____________________________________________________________

Sorry for taking such a long time to write such a bad chapter, I have been really busy with school and stuff so it's harder to write as often. I will try to post as much as possible. Hasta la pasta!